We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best resort beach areas for family with kids (pre-teens)

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Best resort beach areas for family with kids (pre-teens)

What is the best beach resort area for family with kids aged 11 & 13?

we're trying to plan for an upcoming vaca and are somewhat clueless about PCB, although we heard great things about the beach itself with clear blue water and white sands.

Sunnyside? Laguna Beach? Gulf Resort Beach, Open Sands, Edgewater Gulf Beach, bahama Beach, etc...

We're looking for a family resort or condominium on the beach with activities for all.

Price not a factor.

Thanks and Looking forward to your suggestions

Simpsonville, South...
Level Contributor
104 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best resort beach areas for family with kids (pre-teens)

I have stayed at Long Beach resort the 2 bedroom condos are very spacious lots of room to spread out the beach in front of condo is not crowded and the Lagoon pool between bldgs. 2 and 3 is great. They have a poolside grill/bar that the food is not bad nothing to write home about. Across the street is Dee's Hangout awesome food. I think most of the places have nice beaches some are just going to be more crowded than others. The west end is also near Pier Park. I would also look at VRBO they have the best deals on condos IMHO. I would be thinking about booking soon I am sure spots are drying up quickly. Good luck and enjoy.

Here is a link to a map that might help also

emeraldcoastmap.com/images_map/ECMap-front12…

Edited: 07 April 2014, 22:19
Thomaston
Destination Expert
for Panama City Beach
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best resort beach areas for family with kids (pre-teens)

Splash caters to kids and has a lazy river. Its a lot like a water park but a lot of it is geared to younger children. I think yours would probably still find much to do. It is on the west end. Honestly, all these areas have their pros and cons. We like the lower lagoon area because it is close to St. Andrews Park. Many people like the Open Sands area because its closer to Pier Park and all the activities there. Sunnyside is further out the west end and very quiet. Just go on VRBO and check them out. You can tell a lot about the area from reading the owner's descriptions.

Alabama
Level Contributor
657 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best resort beach areas for family with kids (pre-teens)

The areas of the beach can be confusing. Until VRBO went to that format, I had never even heard most of them listed because you don't really notice a change from one "area" to the other when you're in PC. Do you want to be central and closer to Pier Park, or more on the quiet end? Are there specific amenities you are looking for?

As summer mentioned, Sunnyside definitely has a different feel because that is far west end, and more of a quiet, residential feel. Your quieter areas tend to be east end (Thomas Drive) and west Front Beach Road (Splash, Celadon and beyond). The more central area of Front Beach Road, from Thomas Drive to the Pier Park vicinity, has more summer traffic...but, it is also home to some of the resorts the kids might find most enjoyable pool-wise.

Shores of Panama has an awesome lagoon pool area that most kids that age (and adults for that matter) would enjoy. This is a large building, so it will be busy. The wrap units up front would be the way to go, as they have the best views. Because of the building's shape, all other units have varying view quality. Also, there is a $31/day amenity fee there (the only place in PC that does this to my knowledge), so make sure it is included in your quote.

Edgewater has a similar lagoon pool and facilities. It is much more spread out, so it likely won't feel as busy. But, it is older....1980's. I would only rent through VRBO because of that, and look at individual unit pics/reviews when choosing a unit. No massive parking deck here like Shores of Panama...all surface parking, which can be nice.

If you want to be walkable to Pier Park, we like Aqua. It is a very nice, upscale building (relatively new) with indoor/outdoor pool, etc.

On Thomas Drive (price not being a factor), you can choose from larger units in a quieter area. En Soleil is a building with very large units and low density...nice pool area, and large balconies. Hidden Dunes (within the gates of Dunes of Panama) also houses very large units (2100 SF or so).

I can ramble...lol...it all depends on the feel and amenities you're looking for.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best resort beach areas for family with kids (pre-teens)

Thanks so much here.

We're looking for a nice, upgraded and modern condo or townhouse on the beach itself. We saw quite a few that are very outdated in VRBO..with wall papers, big tvs (no flat screens) and cheap rattan furniture. We don't want that. We'd like a more upscale, upgraded/updated and modern residence on the beach with amenities for all: kids and adults. Our kids are 11 & 13.

We'd like an area down the middle with a mix of busy/quiet with nice clear water and white powdered sands, again, in a more upscale building/modern with great amenities for the family for the long memorial-day week-end.

Thanks for all your suggestions and feedback on the areas...including PCB/South Fort Walton beach areas

Wisconsin Rapids...
Level Contributor
699 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best resort beach areas for family with kids (pre-teens)

Some of the condos at Celadon are gorgeously decorated.

6. Re: Best resort beach areas for family with kids (pre-teens)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2014, 16:25
Alabama
Level Contributor
170 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best resort beach areas for family with kids (pre-teens)

I'd vote for Aqua or Calypso- something more in the Open Sands area. Both of these are newer complexes and within walking distance to Pier Park. There are a few more newer complexes in that area as well.

8. Re: Best resort beach areas for family with kids (pre-teens)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2015, 05:15