We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 08/2014

Which Panama City Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 08/2014

Thanks to all for advice given. Here is a short trip report:

1. First of all we stayed at Grand Panama (unit 1607). This was the best condo we have ever rented and I encourage you to book it. The best part was the incredibly huge covered patio/deck overlooking the ocean (I'm guessing 15x20 at it's widest point, maybe 10x20 at it's narrowest). Even though it was in the 90's every day, our patio was always cool, and although it did not rain, this would have been great if it had rained. The condo was well appointed with dishes/pots/pans and appliances that we needed (unlike many condos that we have rented). The bed in the master bedroom is to die for; it has what I guess is one of those foam mattresses that just envelopes your body (looked for a label, didn't have one). And unlike many properties we researched, there were no hidden fees or exorbitant extra fees on top of the rental price.

2. Don't shop at Publix, the prices were incredibly rediculous (bacon $8-12.00/pound for example), Walmart was a better value.

3. Our favorite restaurants: Dee's was incredible. A good value, and food arrived almost as fast as Chickfila. We also liked Andy's Flour power and Thomas's Donuts for breakfast. Andy actually came to our table and thanked us for visiting, and his food was incredible. We also loved Moe's BBQ; it was a good break from seafood, nice portions, and great taste (and cheap compared to other meals). I never thought I would recommend a BBQ restaurant at a beach destination, but now I have. Unfortunately, Captain Anderson's was a big let-down. Over 20 years ago, it was one of the best meals we had ever eaten, but now it just does not measure up for the price.

4. August was a good time to visit, it was almost a ghost-town; no crowds, no traffic.

5. It may be my nostalgic rose colored glasses that I was wearing, but the beach/ocean has changed (or at least in the section of beach we stayed at -- half way between Thomas drive and Pier Park). There was no high or low tide. There used to be good waves about 100 yards off the beach and then a second set of waves crashing at the edge of the beach -- not so anymore. There was also not any seashells whatsoever. The sand on the beach is very deep; it was like walking in deep snow. With that being said, you still can't beat the emerald water and the sugar white sand of PCB.

Nashville...
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 08/2014

how was the presence of seaweed?

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 08/2014

not bad. There was a small amount there every day (near the beach), but nothing to worry about.

Montgomery, Alabama
Level Contributor
387 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 08/2014

Yes! Dees is awesome. Comfort food is what I call it. I need to try Moe's next time we are down there. Where is it?

My kids love to hunt seashells. We went to the county pier this summer and they found tons of those long spiral shells about 100 yards from the water.

Great report and I enjoyed reading it.

Thomaston
Destination Expert
for Panama City Beach
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 08/2014

Great trip report! Thanks for posting!

Newburgh, Indiana
Level Contributor
163 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 08/2014

Thanks for your trip report! Loved reading it! We'll be in PCB in 32 days and I can't wait! We've never tried Moe's, but I'm putting it on my list. We usually enjoy Sonny's BBQ! I love going in September, cause the weather is still nice, but like your trip, there is no crowds and no traffic!

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
111 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 08/2014

Great report. You are right about the waves. There are times they are ripping and we have been out there jumping them with the wave runners. They are weather dependent. Back in May there were some good sets about 3-4 feet and some guys were surfing them. In the winter I have seen more of them.

Glad you had a great time! Always wishing we were there......

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 08/2014

Moes is here:

www.mapquest.com/#ee31af8d8690e5b7119cdc4f

right hand side of front beach road if heading towards pier park from thomas drive (heading west).

Collinsville...
Level Contributor
44 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report 08/2014

thnx for the report~!

9. Re: Trip Report 08/2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2015, 07:15