We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best beaches to find calm safe water

wichita, KS
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
best beaches to find calm safe water

I would appreciate any information on where would be the best place to stay any where from dauphin island to panama city for the calmest safest water probably would go in mid to late July. Thanks in advance.

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,498 posts
601 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best beaches to find calm safe water

In my experience the water varies on all beaches.

I've stayed in Pensacola Beach, Destin, and Seagrove Brach for the past 20+ years.

We spend 2 weeks in Seagrove and have days of water that is like glass and days with small waves all the way to days with fairly large waves.

I highly recommend Seagrove but all of these areas are great beaches!

Mentioned in this post
Pensacola Beach
Pensacola Beach
Florida Panhandle, FL
Destin
Destin
Florida Panhandle, FL
Seagrove Beach
Seagrove Beach
Florida Panhandle, FL
Florida
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best beaches to find calm safe water

The waves in the summer are produced by the southeasterly winds. Look at a map of the coast and you'll see that is one reason why the waves are bigger from Orange Beach Alabama over to Destin.

East of Destin, the coast curves southward and the waves approach the shore at the wrong angle, thus smaller waves in Panama City.

A foolproof plan is to stay in Mexico Beach and if the waves are still up, head a short distance east to where the waves are blocked by the peninsula at Cape San Blas.

MD

Mentioned in this post
Destin
Destin
Florida Panhandle, FL
Panama City Beach
Panama City Beach
Florida Panhandle, FL
3. Re: best beaches to find calm safe water

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 10:20