We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pensacola to Pensacola Beach

Arkansas
Level Contributor
20 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Pensacola to Pensacola Beach

We will be staying in Pensacola July 12-15 and never been. Staying at a Marriott downtown next to bridge to P-Beach.

What will the traffic be like that Sunday and Monday on bridge and beach?

What is parking like in P-Beach?

Should we park and use trolley?

What are the "secret beaches" that only the locals know?

Will it be less crowded since we will the there after July 4th?

And finally, should I worry about shark attacks ;)

Thank you

Valparaiso, Indiana
Level Contributor
354 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pensacola to Pensacola Beach

With regard to Pensacola Beach proper, every time we've ever driven over from Navarre Beach we've never had a problem getting a parking spot at the beach or the Boardwalk. Nonetheless, you'll definitely want to take a drive east along the Gulf on 399, it's absolutely gorgeous.

Now, about those sharks; are there sharks in the Gulf waters? Of course, but you have a better chance of getting hit by lightning twice than getting attacked by a shark there. Personally, I wish more people would educate themselves on the caution flags on the beach regarding rip currents. Far more people are injured/killed because they got caught up in a rip current than because they had an encounter with a shark.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,988 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pensacola to Pensacola Beach

Traffic will be heavy on Sunday if weather is nice; less so if it's rainy. Monday will be better outside of rush-hour. Plenty of parking at the public beach by the pier/pavilion/beachball water tower. I think trolley only runs late afternoon-evening. It won't be less crowded mid-July; weekends are the worst, but still crowded that time of year. Best beaches IMO are the ones between Pensacola Beach-Navarre Beach along the undeveloped national seashore or out at Ft Pickens state park. As for shark attacks...I wouldn't worry about it but there are sharks, little ones will come right up to the shore at times. Use your head, don't swim with a ham around your neck :D

Pensacola, Florida
Destination Expert
for Pensacola
Level Contributor
817 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pensacola to Pensacola Beach

Hippos kill more people each year than sharks. Worry about a hippo attack first. Once that happens you can start worrying about sharks. You also have a better chance of winning the lotto than getting bit by a shark, too. Also, you have a better chance of being struck by lightening six times than you do being attacked by shark. Driving is also a better chance of dying than by shark.

In other words, you don't have to worry about sharks. But use sunblock. Skin cancer is no joke.

: )

Arkansas
Level Contributor
20 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pensacola to Pensacola Beach

I was just joking a little with the shark attack, but that probably not a joke to the people who depend on tourism like Pensacola.

And yes, sun block is at top of my list. I am pale as a ghost.

TN
Level Contributor
328 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pensacola to Pensacola Beach

That particular Sunday should not be too bad getting out there, and here is why: That is probably the most "local heavy" weekend on Pensacola Beach because it is the weekend of the Blue Angels show, so a lot of the people that would normally make the trek over the bridge from Pensacola are either a) already out there because they are staying out there for the week(end) or b) they aren't going because they are burnt out from Friday and Saturday. Now, if rain/storms forces the show to move from Saturday to Sunday, then traffic will be bad very early.

Use sunscreen, stay hydrated, and obey the speed limit through Gulf Breeze, GBPD likes to give souvenirs.

6. Re: Pensacola to Pensacola Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Pensacola