We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

local seafood/ water taxi

Which Pompano Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Conneaut,Ohio
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
local seafood/ water taxi

What kind of fish/seafood would be considered local in the Pompano Beach area? I would love to try some. Also, any suggestions for some inexpensive Mom and Pop or deli/ bar restaurants in that area or north/ south ( we don't mind driving a little ways) that I could take 3 college age boys to eat and not take out another loan? They're already killing me with their student loans. Also, I remember something about a water taxi ride in Fort Lauderdale. Would you mind reviewing where it is located and the cost? Thanks so much!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,974 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: local seafood/ water taxi

Water Taxi is south of Pompano Beach -the nearest stop is about 35 blocks at least south of Pompano. The only available fare is $11 for an all day pass, so best to use it when you want to spend a day on the water sightseeing. Local fish here are usually Mahi Mahi, Snapper and grouper and also shrim. You might look at a place in Ft. Lauderdale called Catfish Deweys that has one all you can eat feature every day- things like fried shrimp, ribs etc.

Depending on when you come there are many local papers that have 2/1 coupons or early bird specials advertised. You can pick them up in cases in strip malls for free. Don't know how adventurous the kids are but there are many oriental buffets that have all you can eat- not all of it is Chinese cuisine , but would be best if they liked Chinese for that. Sweet Tomatos is an all you can eat place ( part of a chain ) that has a big salad bar as well as a few pizza, pasta, baked potato and soup choices each day . nearest to Pompano is in a strip mall at CypressCreek Rd and Andrews Ave, just south of Pompano Beach. Another place called Sonny's BarB Que is pretty rustic but has all you can eat of ribs etc on some days and a salad bar too. On Powerline Rd between Commercial Bvd and Cypress Rd.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some other possibilities- luckily I don't have big guys to feed!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,974 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: local seafood/ water taxi

Meant to explain more about Water Taxi- it runs up and down the Intracoastal Waterway between Oakland Park Blvd in Ft. Lauderdale ( 30th St) and south to Las Olas Blvd ( which is a couple of blocks south of Broward Blvd, which is the north -south divide street in Lauderdale.) The stops are basically at restaurants and bars along their route- the north most stop is Shooters in Ft. Lauderdale , under the bridge on Oakland Park Blvd. It is really better for sightseeing than transportation. There are a few low cost trolleys that run up and down various stretches of the beach- I think one that runs in South Pompano is called Pelican Hopper and connects to the Sun Trolley that runs further down the beach into Ft. Lauderdale.

Where are you staying in Pompano?

Conneaut,Ohio
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: local seafood/ water taxi

Thanks! You are so sweet to respond and also to give so much information. We are staying at the Canada House Beach Club. Our trip from Ohio includes stops at Myrtle Beach and Charleston for the one boy who has decided to change locations for school, a stop at Clearwater and Fort Lauderdale for the one who wants to relocate now that he has finished auto-body school, and a general Florida look for the one who is graduating with a computer degree and wants to live in Florida. Maybe I should just ask you for all the bars that I can walk to. I think I'm going to need them! By the way, the boys are the kind that love the beach. However, if you can think of a day trip (although maybe I wont want to see the inside of a car-Hmmm) that we might try we would sure like to hear about it. Thanks again for all of your help!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,974 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: local seafood/ water taxi

God bless you-I have friend who is a housemother for a fraternity- so I imagine you get used to the whole dirty sweat sock thing!! I think your boys would be welcome in Bru's Room, a sports bar/grill -as they have a kids menu-and I THINK they still have a buy one /get one happy hour all day for you - or at least it said so on their sign last time I went by- no all you can eat, but fairly generous servings of burgers, wings ribs. Owned by a former Miami Dolphin Player- you would go south to Atlantic Blvd, west on Atlantic all the way to Federal ( US 1) , then south a short distance- it's on the right.

There is also a fifties style diner going north on US 1 from Atlantic on the right called Ronnie B's ( or Ronnie D's , I forget). Once again genrous servings of manly foods and usually some sort of special on the sign outside. If you have a kitchen where you are ( I would guess you do) you can hit the Publix Grocery along Atlantic ( you'll see it on your right before Federal. ). They have a deli section with a fried chicken deal- a box of chicken, two sides like pasta salad etc and a small packet of rolls for a reasonable price- also roasted chickens and big custom made subs.

I do want to add that many of those Chinese Buffets I mentioned have a station where they cook chicken breast and or steaks to order , and they have help yourself ice cream freezers for dessert- so you might check the signs. Usually cheaper at lunch than dinner , so load em up! I'll keep thinking.

Are the guys into clothing shopping etc- if so, you could take them Way out west to Sawgrass Mill- a big outlet- they have a Ron Jon Surf shop where they can buy T-shirts etc and outlets for all the latest cool clothing lines. last time I went the Gameworks theer was still open etc.

I woudn't recommend the Everglades in the summer- too hot and buggy- but you might buy a pass on Water Taxi for each of you on a day when you have lots of time - at $11 pp it's a bargain to get out on the water and hop on and off as much as you like all day . Oakland Park Blvd. in Ft. Lauderdale under the bridge at the south side at Shooters is the furthest north pick up point. Shooters has relatively cheap Sunday Buffet Brunch, and Aruba Beach Club , right on the Ocean at Commercial Blvd . has one on Sunday that is pretty basic , but only $10 all you can eat with an ocean view, so if you are around on Sunday, you could check those out. and fillthe boys up. Shooters usually has lots of hot boats docked on the weekends.

As you are around , look for those little weekly shoppers papers of various types - many have coupons and early bird ads , like buy one get one subs at Subway. I just got a deal on Arby's sandwiches that was posted on their window- so keep your eyes open for signs like that.

I know you'll have fun- and so will they!

Level Contributor
2,130 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: local seafood/ water taxi

I have an idea. We also like Sonnys BBQ. It is a big chain with many medium sized places, and very fair pricing.

You will be driving S from SC through GA on US Route I 95 to get to Pompano.

Gas prices are lower in GA than in Fl (In May 07, almost 40 cents a gallon lower.)

I suppose you will fill up before you leave SC.... but do yourself a favor.

Exit I 95 at exit # 3 (GA) which is 3 miles from the Fl border. Then find a dozen gas stations with pretty low pricing (there is a Naval Station that is even cheaper, but you need a military person...so that might be out)

When you exit, turn to your left....toward the ocean. Continue & pass the stations noting the prices. Last time a BP was even cheaper than a Starvin Marvin ( an off brand that seems to be disappearing)

Continue E until to see the Sonnys on the right. Thats lunch. Also, there is a Winn Dixie way behind it. ( This is a bit of a military area)

You need to pass the Sonnys, then turn R & R again on an access road. Eat. Then get the gas...then back on I 95 S to Pompano.

Sometimes it is easier to use I 295 around Jacksonville....but it's a real easy, but long drive. (Warning- in summer- heavy reaffic on Fri & Sat will exit onto Interstate 4 to Orlando. MAKE sure you don't get stuck in the Interstate 4 exit lanes . This is in the area of Daytona....just S of St Augustine)

SONNY Of

KINGSLAND

1380 E.Boone Ave.Ext.

(912) 673-7262

I-95,Exit 3

(606) 526-0000

http://www.sonnysbbq.com/

PS- all of the chicken is lightly smoked. It may have a red meat appearance..its OK But ask if you are not sure.

Conneaut,Ohio
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: local seafood/ water taxi

Thanks Lulutoo and Ken for all your helpful suggestions. We are so looking forward to our vacation. We are on our way. We did the Myrtle Beach/ Charleston quick college look yesterday and we're on our way to Clearwater today. We should arrive at Pompano tonight. It's a whirlwind look so I'm really looking forward to just sitting on the beach and relaxing. I can't wait to try the restaurants and the water taxi. I know the boys will like the taxi. Well, I'll let you know about the trip when we return. Thanks a million for your help!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,974 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: local seafood/ water taxi

Oh Bummer! Wanted to let you know thattI drove by the 50's diner this morning (Ronnie's) and it has a big Farewell sign on it- another Mom and Pop place bites the dust- but I guess you'll see that for yourself! Will be looking for that report- we're off to Key West tomorrow for a few days!!

Conneaut,Ohio
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: local seafood/ water taxi

We had a great time in Pompano Beach. The Canada House was a nice, clean place to stay with a beautiful view of the ocean. We took your suggestion about the water taxi.The late afternoon/ early evening trip was a lot of fun! One of the days we drove down through Miami and South Beach along A1A and ended up in Key Largo. We ate dinner at Snappers and had a great meal (the key lime pie was excellent). Also, we tried the Bru's Room for a beer and carry out (the food was good). On the same night we picked up a pizza from a place I think was called Vito's Gourmet Pizza. The boys said it was tasty. Because we attended one of those time share presentations, we were treated to a lunch at Milo's Greek Restaurant. The Mahi Mahi lunch was delicious. Our trip to Florida was fast and furious, but well worth every minute in the car. We had so much fun and all of your suggestions were so helpful. Thanks again for taking the time to post all of your ideas for our family. I really appreciate the time you both took to help us out. We look forward to coming back again sometime.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,974 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: local seafood/ water taxi

Glad you had such a great time! That pizza place is reputed to have great pizza but issues with service- so carry out was probably a good call! Come back and see us again!

10. Re: local seafood/ water taxi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 04:18