We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean Manor Resort -- any better hotels nearby?

Kansas City, MO
Level Contributor
62 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Ocean Manor Resort -- any better hotels nearby?

We are attending a family wedding this summer at the Ocean Manor resort that much to my dismay gets HORRIBLE reviews on TA. This is also the hotel "recommended" by the wedding party that we should stay at. I am wondering a couple things -- first, is it really that bad as reviews suggest? And second, if it is as bad as reviews say, are their any nearby hotels in that general area (like less than 10 minutes away) that are decent that you'd recommend instead of Ocean Manor for a weekend stay? We would still like to be near family/the wedding but are reluctant to stay in a dump. It is just my husband and myself and we usually stay at marriotts/hiltons as he travels quite a bit for work and racks up the points!

Thanks for your help!

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,298 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocean Manor Resort -- any better hotels nearby?

The Marriott and Hilton hotels are going to be a little more than 10 min. away. I think you can find some decent places locally but won't be part of the chains. The question will be whether 20 -25 min. away will really impact things for you more than 10 - 15 min.

Restaurants will be a short distance away for everyone. I guess the other question will be where is the wedding taking place? Does it pay to be close to the wedding venue?

GA
Level Contributor
44 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ocean Manor Resort -- any better hotels nearby?

My husband and I and our baby, stayed at Ocean Manor, BUT we made sure and rented thru a private owner off of VRBO who had lots of photos for us. If you rented thru the hotel itself, I have heard that the rooms and furnishings are terrible. I think it really depends on what you are looking for. We rented a studio, and it was completely fine. My review is actually listed under my name if you'd like to read it. I would do it again. I am 28 and hubby is 33. We had a really great vacation there. If you are used to things being absolutely perfect and 6 star, then I would go to the hilton, but if you are okay with a fun atmosphere then it's really fine. It wasnt loud or anything. The condo was very clean and nice, and we really couldn't complain AT ALL for the price. but I would book thru a private owner, no way would I book thru the hotel and be surprised upon arrival.

Fort Lauderdale, FL...
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ocean Manor Resort -- any better hotels nearby?

I'm not sure if you realize that Ocean Manor is actually in Fort Lauderdale. You may want to post there as well. The bad news is that yes Ocean Manor is pretty bad. You may want to try Il Lugano Suite Hotel. You could probably walk beween the two in under 15 min. I think they also have a complimentary car service where they will drop you off and pick you back up within a few miles from the hotel. You should double check that though. The only negative at Il Lugano is the pool is on the small side and sits in the shade all day.

The Hilton is probably a 15 min. drive from Ocean Manor. I don't know if you are planning on having a car but most hotels charge quite a bit for parking and many tourists find they don't need one. You can get around a bit by trolley, bus and water taxi. Sunny.org is a great site to get lots of helpful information.

4. Re: Ocean Manor Resort -- any better hotels nearby?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2010, 05:15