We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I need help before leaving for cruise

Michigan
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
I need help before leaving for cruise

Sorry, I have several questions hopefully someone can help me with at least some suggestions. Going on a cruise early January leaving Port Canaveral but will be flying into Florida 3 days prior to the cruise. First, which airport, Orlando or Melbourne would be better to fly in to. Second, shuttles or rent a car or what would be the least expensive for transportation. Third, Ideas for places to stay and things to do for two young adults. Thinking about Universal Studios for one day but then would like to maybe be on the beach for the next couple of days. Thanks for any ideas.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,524 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I need help before leaving for cruise

Melbourne is usually a lot more expensive to fly to, however they have been offering some deals and US Air now flies here. However there are no shuttles from the airport unless you are staying somewhere in Melbourne. Nothing goes up to the Port or Cocoa Beach. If you are going to be here for 3 days you may want to rent a car anyways as it's 1 hour from the Port to Orlando. There is not a lot of things in walking distance at the port or Cocoa Beach. Orlando if doing things on or near I-Drive you can use the bus system to get around. I think there may be a shuttle from some of the Orlando hotels to Universal. You may want to post on the Orlando forum too.

Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I need help before leaving for cruise

I would rent a car. Just remember we have Avis, Hertz, Thrifty/Dollar, Budget, and Enterprise. They will all shuttle you to/from the ship.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,524 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I need help before leaving for cruise

If you plan on spending most of your time at the beach I would stay all 3 days on Cocoa Beach, rent a car for a day trip to Orlando to Universal. It's an easy drive over and back. Or if flying into Orlando, spend the 1st night there, go to Universal then head to the coast for the remainder. Either way I agree you will want to rent a car for getting around.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
530 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I need help before leaving for cruise

If it were me, I would fly into Orlando, secure a hotel close to Universal and rent a car. Depending on the time of day you would be arriving at the hotel would determine a one night or two night stay.

Then, drive the Beechline to Cape Canaveral or Cocoa Beach are where I would then stay the remaining nights before you need to get on the boat, turning in your car rental.

Not sure your time frame on the return portion of your trip. Are you going to stay any additional days?

You will have so much fun - all parts of it (but especially the cruise!). Enjoy

Washington, dC
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I need help before leaving for cruise

Yes - is it best/most cost effective to rent a car for just an hour from Orlando airport to Port Canaveral if my friend and I are just flying in to do the cruise with Royal Caribbean. All the shuttles seem outrageously expensive for just a 45 minute trip! Thrifty does not offer car rentals to Port Canaveral by the way - I checked.

LauraR

Edited: 08 December 2010, 02:38
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
530 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I need help before leaving for cruise

I should open a shuttle business!

7. Re: I need help before leaving for cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2011, 06:18