We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to The Kennedy Space Center and visiting the area.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to The Kennedy Space Center and visiting the area.

This is our first time in the Cape Canaveral Area. My lady and I are in our 60's traveling from Las Vegas, NV. We are arriving by shuttle on the 17 of January at the Four Points Sheraton Hotel in Cocoa Beach. We have a cruise lined up beginning on 01/20/2014 and return on 01/24/2014. We will be taking a shuttle back to The Orlando Airport on 01/24/2014. From there we will be visiting Disney World for 5 days.

We have 2 days, 18th & 19th to visit The Cape Canaveral Area and was interested in visiting The Kennedy Space Center (KSC).

What would be the best, or should I say the most economical, way to get from the hotel to the KSC and back? Would we need both days or is 1 sufficient? If 1 day works, are there any recommendations of other things to see and do while in this area?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Joe and Denise from Vegas

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,522 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to The Kennedy Space Center and visiting the area.

I highly recommend seeing KSC, but for all but the most dedicated space fans, a day there is enough. If a visitor wanted to do several guided tours, it might be necessary to visit a second day. The Visitors' Complex is located well inside the KSC area, reachable by highway SR-3 from the Cocoa Beach area; however, there is no public transportation. It is possible to take a taxi, but it would be cheaper to rent a car for a day or two to get around. Avis, Budget, Dollar/Thrifty, Enterprise/Alamo/National, Hertz, and Payless all have offices in the area, and rates will run around $50-70 a day including taxes.

As for other activities, I would recommend the gambling boat, but seeing that you're from Vegas, I guess you could skip that. Actually, Cocoa Beach is better known for its outdoor activities; you could take an airboat into the swamps to see gators -- something you don't seem to have in Nevada. Both Grasshopper Eco-Tours and Twister Airboats are off highway 520 west of Cocoa.

The Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge and the adjacent Canaveral National Seashore are also interesting, but a car is required. You can visit Playalinda Beach, stop by the Visitors' Center, or take the Black Point driving tour.

Cocoa Beach isn't a shopping mecca, but take a visit to the Ron Jon Surf Shop, which is open 24 hours. There are also a small boutique shopping area at Cocoa Village.

There are boat tours on the Indian River and Banana River lagoons. You can take a pontoon boat to see dolphins, but the manatees will be gone until March. The Indian River Queen is a paddle wheeler that offers both regular tours and dinner tours. Perhaps the best way to see the lagoons close up is taking one of the kayaking excursions through the Thousand Islands area just south of downtown Cocoa Beach. There are also sailboat rides available.

If you want more active pursuits, you can take surfing lessons, go deep-sea fishing, parasail, use jet skis, sky dive, etc. Search the web or look at the pages for Cocoa Each and Cape Canaveral right here on TA. Enjoy your stay!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to The Kennedy Space Center and visiting the area.

We are currently nearing the end of 5 days in Port Canaveral. It is extremely difficult to get around without a car. Probably best to take a taxi locally. Our hotel, the Radisson, wasn't very helpful with transport or tours for us as they mainly cater for the cruise ships. I found Space Port Transport on the net and they quoted me $90 return trip to the Space Centre for my husband and myself. I was very impressed with Gerry, the owner/driver. He picked us up at 8:30 and again, at 6:00pm from the space centre. I think one day would be sufficient. He advised us what to do first (catch the tour bus when it starts running at 10:15), prior to that we went to the rocket garden and listened to a guide for 15 minutes. We then went to the Atlantis exhibit (great!). The bus tour takes some time though. When we got back we had time for lunch and a session at the Hubble IMAX theatre. Everything is so well organised - very impressed. My husband was considering a ride on the launch but couldn't justify another day out there just for that - this particular day they shut at 5pm.

The next day we went to the Merritt Square Mall for some 'retail therapy'. Was a bit of a hassle changing buses and waiting around, but it's all part of the travel experience, isn't it?!

Enjoy your visit !

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cocoa Beach
Level Contributor
2,522 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to The Kennedy Space Center and visiting the area.

If you are interested in the public transit buses, see www.ridescat.com . Route 9 runs north and south parallel to the beach (mostly along highway A1A and right in front of the Sheraton), and connects to route 4, which goes east and west to the Merritt Island Mall and Cocoa Village.

The two routes connect just east of the intersection of highway A1A and highway 520, just 2-3 blocks north of your hotel, which is more central than the Radisson mentioned by the previous poster.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to The Kennedy Space Center and visiting the area.

Thanks for all the info. It will be real helpful in planning our time.

Joe

5. Re: Getting to The Kennedy Space Center and visiting the area.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2015, 06:22