We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Charlotte in April

Michigan
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Port Charlotte in April

Hello, we will be in Port Charlotte for a week in April. Are there any beaches in Port Charlotte? Are there any restaurants and bars with outside seating, preferably on the water? What other attractions are in the area? Are there any zoos or aquariums? I'm not that familiar with the area....We will be staying at a house in Riverwood. Thanks!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,133 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port Charlotte in April

No, there are no real beaches, it is inland. There is a small manmade riverside beach park in charlotte harbour.

Like I said, Pt C is inland so no waterfront restaurants. There are some places with outside seating though. There are a number of river front restaurants across the bridge at charlotte harbour in Punta Gorda (incl a fun rooftop tapas bar) and you can travel to Gasparilla island or Manasota key and englewood a short drive away for more.

Riverwood is near the river at el Jobeen so not as far from Englewood, MK and Gasparilla as pt C proper.

It is a small town, not a tourist area so you won't find such attractions but you will in Sarasota 45 mins away where research based Mote Aquarium is fantastic- google it. Myakka river state park is abt 30-40 mins from you just east of I75 at Clark rd exit

If you like to watch minor league ball, the charlotte sports park is just up and across the rd from you and you can catch a Stone Crabs game.

Edited: 18 February 2012, 17:25
Mentioned in this post
Punta Gorda
Punta Gorda
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Englewood
Englewood
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
1,752 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port Charlotte in April

For beaches you can go northwest to Venice (about 20 miles) or southwest to Fort Myers / Fort Myers Beach (about 30 miles) These will be closer than driving to Sarasota. Also in Fort Myers you will find several tourist attractions - check a previous post with several suggestions ie nature center, planatarium, Imaginarium, Edison and Ford Winter Estates-

tripadvisor.com/…38726242

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Fort Myers
Fort Myers
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Fort Myers Beach
Fort Myers Beach
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,133 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Port Charlotte in April

I did not suggest driving to sarasota for beaches? But for the Aqaurium wanted. And MK and Gasparilla are closer beaches than Venice for Riverwood.

Yes, Ft Myers has attractions. but they are more than an hour away which is why i didn't recommend them. Riverwood isn't far from me and any ft myers beach would be well over an hour away.

Having said that, I drive to Ft myers all the time when I want to as It like to shop etc but I know how long it is and I thought the OP wanted things closer. I would have no hesitation in drivng to ft myers to shop from Riverwood but I would choose closer beaches.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Mechanicsville, VA
Level Contributor
154 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Port Charlotte in April

I was wondering you mention about a "rooftop bar". What is the name of it. How far from Port Charlotte is Punta Gorda? Looking for a restaurant - overlooking water, good food reasonably priced. There is a group of us heading there in less than two weeks and we're meeting another couple that is driving up from Ft. Myers. Our meeting place is Port Charlotte.

Any recommendations you might have would be very helpful!

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Gorda
Punta Gorda
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Port Charlotte...
Level Contributor
98 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Port Charlotte in April

The rooftop bar is on top of the Wyvern hotel and probably 12-14 miles from Riverwood, immediately after the bridge into PG so not far.

I don't think anyone mentioned Englewood Beach! Manasota Key is the closest beach- and it's probably 15 minutes from Riverwood. Englewood Beach is the closest - and it has several outdoor dining options and a great public beach. Lifeguard, BBQ,large bathrooms, playground, basketball - but it stretches for a distance and it's easy to find a quiet spot. We like the south side, to the left when you turn onto the key.

The key is also 7 miles long, a beautiful drive from Englewood, through Middle Beach (not my favorite) to Manasota Key at the other end. Smaller, still great bathrooms, and just a gem of a beach. And a wonderful drive if you take the drive- by making a left at the McDonalds, over the bridges and down the 7 miles down the key. I love it. It also has a boat lanch and board walk on the bay side.

Outdoor dining- on the beach (options in PG as well!) are

Lock N Key-Great food indoor and outdoor seating

Waterfront Grille (or close to that) no outdoor seating but nice place and Great food

Farlows- fantastic food- it has outdoor seating but it's not on the beach it's still has a view of the water- it's on 776 and not far from Riverwood

One right across from beach- new and to the left- outdoor sand seating. I will reply again if I remember the name- went blank. Great view, atmosphere but food is not the best on the key. Fun place -relaxing- they are new and I think improving.

These are just some choices in Englewood on the Gulf - or the water that are just down 776 from you.

There's great places in Port Charlotte- some have outdoor seating like Joe Crackers (776/41) that's close to you. Fun Key West feel but the view is the parking lot- There's also JD's Bistro & Grille just 3 more blocks down 776 and close to you for an upscale experience complete with entertainment on weekends (starts about 7) with a Baby Grand Piano- always great talent and music. Fresh food, real Chef and interesting menu, wine list, Martini Bar and it's just a great place to relax. If you're going to have one meal indoors - that would be my choice.

There's also Visani's - great food and comedy club if looking for a nice night out . The options from chains to great local places in Englewood and Port Charlotte are endless! Punta Gorda has many great choices too - many of the outdoor seating in Port Charlotte has more of a bar feeling but it all depends on what you're looking for.

If anything - I would state don't miss out on Englewood Beach, Manasota Key, boat trips out to the gulf islands- kayaking and nature fun if you like that. There's also many attractions - going to the Charlotte County & Gulf Islands website share most of them www.charlotteharbortravel.com. Some are on Tripadvisor. I hope you enjoy your trip to the area, we love it here and love to go out to Englewood for the beach and restaurants. Also shopping on Dearborn Street- as well as all that FIsherman's Village offers in Punta Gorda.

Sorry it's so long, but I have stayed at Ft Myers beach and while we live 20 minutes from Englewood Beach we vacation out there so our kids can be right on the beach there. Also, Venice has unique beaches - Siesta is rated number one but we prefer Englewood!

Mentioned in this post
Manasota Key
Manasota Key
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Englewood
Englewood
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
JD's Bistro & Grille
JD's Bistro & Grille
402 Reviews
Port Charlotte, FL
Punta Gorda
Punta Gorda
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Venice
Venice
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,133 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Port Charlotte in April

Yes, I mentionned Englewood and Manasota key in post one lol.

Although Englewood beach is my least fav of the 4 beaches on manasota key- I prefer Stump pass and Blind pass beaches.

Mentioned in this post
Englewood
Englewood
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Port Charlotte...
Level Contributor
98 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Port Charlotte in April

Amanx- that is funny-missed it in the list of FT Myers and Sarasota. I do like Stump Pass too- but I really do like the quieter beaches. I did grow up on Manasota Key, and when I was a teenager I preferred Venice & Sarasota! I was just thinking how much closer it is. Either way, great advice. Lots of ideas. I probably went on a little to far, but since I grew up in Englewood it's my home. I wish we still lived out there, but in North Port the kids have Elementary, Middle & High School all within walking distance of our home. And all the fields/sports & Community Center. But I love the dining in ENglewood!

Mentioned in this post
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Manasota Key
Manasota Key
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Englewood
Englewood
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
8. Re: Port Charlotte in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2014, 00:15
Get answers to your questions about Port Charlotte
Recent Conversations