We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape San Blas-Palmetto Bugs or biting flies?

Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Cape San Blas-Palmetto Bugs or biting flies?

Hello- we are thinking of taking our Dogs to CSB next year and renting a very nice gulf front beach house. Can anybody tell me if there are a lot of Palmetto bugs and or cockroaches in this area- especially indoors? I am terrified of these creatures, so I need to know before I make reservations. Are palmettos more active during certain months? Also, I heard during a certain time of year there are biting flies on the beach? If so, I worry for my Dogs.

Any info would be appreciated! Thanks! :)

Arlington, TX
Level Contributor
583 posts
49 reviews
14 helpful votes
1. Re: Cape San Blas-Palmetto Bugs or biting flies?

We have vacationed at CSB for the last 9 years--this will be our 10th summer. I have never had a problem with biting flies or cockroaches at CSB. We did have a problem with the yellow, mean biting flies at Indian Pass. Mosquitoes and no-see-ums, yes, flies, no. Wear "Off" or something like that in the evening if it is still to repel the mosquitoes. Adam's Mist is great for mosquitoes, etc. if you feel you need something for your dogs.

BL

Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
2. Re: Cape San Blas-Palmetto Bugs or biting flies?

Thank you SO MUCH for the reply- what a huge relief you have given me regarding the palmettos/roaches!! And also for the info about the stuff to put on the Dogs!

Have you always stayed there the same time of the year, or different months?

Thanks again for your help! :-)

Arlington, TX
Level Contributor
583 posts
49 reviews
14 helpful votes
3. Re: Cape San Blas-Palmetto Bugs or biting flies?

Glad it helped!

We have always stayed in the summer--from early June to mid-August. If you have any questions, please ask either on this forum or you may PM me as well.

You will love it--my favorite place in the world!

BL

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Cape San Blas-Palmetto Bugs or biting flies?

We have stayed in several different places on CSB, Indian Pass, and Port St Joe - at different times of the year. If you are renting a house on the beach at CSB, you should check the reviews for that house - or the rental company - to see how other clients have reviewed the cleanliness of the house. This will tell you whether or not you will have cockroaches/palmetto bugs. If you are going in the summer, you will see less bugs (unless you are camping). We went to Indian Pass in February and brought our Akita (large long haired) and she didn't like the biting flies so we won't bring here there again. Seems like the closer to the "bay" and brakash water you are, the more bugs/mosquitos/biting flies you will notice. Overall, in my opinion of course, there are less bugs because there are less people/business than in other resort-type towns (like Panama City Beach or Destin).

Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
5. Re: Cape San Blas-Palmetto Bugs or biting flies?

Thanks, so much, again, for your help, BL. I just may take you up on the pm offer, when I gather some questions together.

After reading your posts I just CANNOT WAIT to go and may have to go earlier than intended- It sounds wonderful! ;-)

Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
6. Re: Cape San Blas-Palmetto Bugs or biting flies?

VallyGirl, thanks so much for the info. I looked for some reviews on Sunset Reflections Rentals, where I'd like to rent the house, but haven't really been able to find any.

So are you saying there are less roaches/palmettos in the summer months too? Or just less flies and mosquitoes? I'm mostly concerned about the roaches and Palms- I can live with the rest if need be. I did read a review on this site that said she, and her Dogs, DID experience a lot of biting flies on the beach at the end of Sep. But my problem is that I can't go when it's too warm out, for my Dogs sakes, so I was thinking Sep- Oct....please tell me that the roaches aren't worse at that time and it's only the flies and mosquitoes? LOL

Columbia, TN
7 posts
7. Re: Cape San Blas-Palmetto Bugs or biting flies?

We are in Cape San Blas right now, for the week, with our german shepherd, there are no bugs in the house we're staying in, and only one morning were there little gnats, that was as the sun was coming up and the fog was still heavy. the only things we've seen around the house were 2 lizards. No problems down on the beach either(we're staying on Money Bayou drive) Good luck, enjoy your vacation!

Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
8. Re: Cape San Blas-Palmetto Bugs or biting flies?

Hi tnbsmommy-thanks so much for the info! How is the weather there this time of year? Warm enough to hang on the beach, in shorts, during the day?

knats and lizards- not a problem-just can't do roaches! LOL!

Thanks again for the info, and I hope you and your family have a beautiful rest of your vacation together! :)

Ontario
Level Contributor
45 posts
41 reviews
28 helpful votes
9. Re: Cape San Blas-Palmetto Bugs or biting flies?

We are headed to CBS this weekend (Barrier Dunes) with our dogs (goldens) and cant wait. I lived in South Florida for years and can tell you roaches/palms still give me the creeps. The colder it is, the less you see them, so keep the A/C cranked ;-).

Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
10. Re: Cape San Blas-Palmetto Bugs or biting flies?

Hi Annath70- ok, thanks so much for the info. So, if there are going to be any roaches/palms, you're more likely to see them in the warmer months then, correct? I'm probably better off going in the spring or fall then?

Have a GREAT vacation, and report back and let us know how it was! :-)

You have a beautiful Dog-one of mine looks similar!

Get answers to your questions about Port Saint Joe