We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape San Blas-Palmetto Bugs or biting flies?

Which Port Saint Joe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cape San Blas-Palmetto Bugs or biting flies?

Hello- we are thinking of taking our Dogs to CSB next year and renting a very nice gulf front beach house. Can anybody tell me if there are a lot of Palmetto bugs and or cockroaches in this area- especially indoors? I am terrified of these creatures, so I need to know before I make reservations. Are palmettos more active during certain months? Also, I heard during a certain time of year there are biting flies on the beach? If so, I worry for my Dogs.

Any info would be appreciated! Thanks! :)

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Cape San Blas-Palmetto Bugs or biting flies?

I'll throw in my two cents on these bugs...

we have been in both Fall and Spring, several times, but never in Summer.

In the Fall ( early Oct.) the weather is definitely the best ( not too hot) but spring is sometimes too coldunless you go late April.

we have encountered teh biting flies in October, more than once, but not every visit. we are told they re there only for a couple weeks, but unfortunately we have been hit. Ther was nto a whole lot we could do abot them. very annoying, ut we keep going back! You can take a vitamin B1 for a few days befor you go, and each day you are there, and it WILL work on the no see ums, but not on the flies.

As for the roaches, I would think like anywhere, it depends on how hot it is outside, how clean it is outside, and, how densely forested the area near your rental is. There are several areas on Cape San Blas that have a lot of pine on the beach. Pretty as that is, more pines mean more likelyhood of roaches.

Check with your rental company & ask about the neighborhood. Also, if your rental allows, keep the garbage can at the end of the driveway.

even on a trip where the bugs seemed to be at their worst, I do not remember there being an issue with cockroaches.

have a good trip,

Miller

Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Cape San Blas-Palmetto Bugs or biting flies?

Hi bhlkin,

Thanks SO MUCH for the info. You're the second person who has said that there were biting flies in Oct and/or end of Sep, so I think I'm going to skip going during that time.....I don't mind so much for myself, but don't want my Dogs being bitten. You've been a BIG help-thanks so much! :)

Columbia, TN
7 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Cape San Blas-Palmetto Bugs or biting flies?

The weather is beautiful! We rented a boat on Tuesday and went to the tip of the cape, DEFINITELY worth doing, didn't bring the dog for that one, lol... on Wed. we drove up to Wakulla state park and took a boat tour, everyone loved that. We've played in the water, this morning there are several jellyfish washed up on shore, so we took pics of those. Yesterday is the only day it rained, and it didn't rain long, was mostly really windy all day, aside from that the weather has been perfect!!!

Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Cape San Blas-Palmetto Bugs or biting flies?

tnbsmommy- happy to hear you and your fam are having a wonderful time and the weather has been pretty good for you! Enjoy the rest of your vacation! ;-)

Ontario
Level Contributor
45 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Cape San Blas-Palmetto Bugs or biting flies?

Hi,

We are here in CSB for another day then heading back north. We have not seen a roach/palm any where the entire time we have been here. We are staying at Barrier Dunes and they had a team out spraying the outside for bugs the day we got there, not sure what kind. We did see a few skeeters but not many and none really bothered us. No biting flies either. Was hoping to see a gator, but no such luck. Someone mentioned there are bears in the area, but we didnt see them either. We did see dolphins in the bay however, during the sunset cruise we booked! Weather has been great here, mid to high 70s every day and very little clouds. I have the sun burn to prove it! The pool and ocean are a bit chilly when you first get in, but feel great after sunbathing or chasing the dogs. Barrier Dunes is very dog friendly and we have met lots of folks with a variety of breeds. Leashes are not required on the beach if your dog is well mannered but are required every where else. You guys will have a blast with your pooch.

Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Cape San Blas-Palmetto Bugs or biting flies?

Hi Annath70! Thanks so much for your detailed info! And I'm happy to hear you and your beautiful Dogs had such a wonderful vacation, and the weather was so nice for you! Thanks again- you've been a big help! :-)

17. Re: Cape San Blas-Palmetto Bugs or biting flies?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Port Saint Joe