We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barrier Dunes

Which Port Saint Joe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Charles...
Level Contributor
68 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Barrier Dunes

We are looking at possibly staying at a townhouse in the Barrier Dunes community. Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated. It sounds like it would be a quiet area, and not a busy, crowded beach. Also, what is there to do in the area? It will be my husband and I, our Daughter, husband and two children, ages 3 and 5.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
207 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barrier Dunes

I can't tell you anything about Barrier Dunes because I have never stayed there (We are house people!) but I hear good things about it. Other than the pool, etc. at BD and, of course, the beach, plan a couple of hours to visit the bay. I'm not sure how much the 3 year old will do but the 5 year old can snorkle, etc. Also, the state park is right there and I'd take some time to visit that.

Tallahassee, Florida
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Barrier Dunes

I stayed in a private home in Barrier Dunes 10/2013. It was unfortunately as a tropical storm was coming through but the neighborhood and the beach there are great. The water was very rough due the the TS just mentioned but I've been to Cape San Blas before and the water there is usually much calmer. Nice neighborhood, all the way at the end of the single road going through the Cape. Not much to do other than relax and enjoy the beach.... which is fine with me!

Opp, Alabama
Level Contributor
568 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barrier Dunes

There's a couple little ice cream shops, a place to rent horses, a few places that rent water sports equipment, state park just past Barrier Dunes, bike trail for 8 miles, and that's about it. There are very few restaurants, and it's a decent drive into PSJ from the end of the road, so if somebody doesn't enjoy cooking, that could be tricky (and a lot of time spent driving to PSJ and back.) It's the kind of place you don't have to say no to the kids because there's nothing to ask for. Bring board games, fishing poles, a puzzle, just enjoy doing nothing but watching the waves. If you need more activity/nightlife, CSB would probably seem very boring, and it's a good thing you asked here. You can drive down the road, virtually, on satellite view of internet maps. That might help you see what it's like, almost exclusively sparsely residential.

Saint Charles...
Level Contributor
68 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barrier Dunes

Thanks for the advice from everyone, but we have decided to stay in the Panama City Beach area instead.

5. Re: Barrier Dunes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2015, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Port Saint Joe