We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When it Rains

Belfast
Level Contributor
98 posts
1 review
Save Topic
When it Rains

When we visited Florida 2 years ago we expereinced awful weather for almost the entire 2 weeks. When the rain came in the afternoon it simply did not leave after an hour or 2. I am therefore wondering if we stay in Rotonda for a planned vacation for 2 weeks in August is there much to do in the area if the weather is poor?

Also it would good to know what are the unmissables regardless of weather (leaving out beaches and shopping) What are the nice little quaint areas? Where are the nearest water parks? Is Bradenton a good area to get a Villa?

Many thanks John

Northern Ireland
Destination Expert
for Rotonda West
Level Contributor
744 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When it Rains

Chelsea1960,

If you are visiting Florida anytime between May and November, you have to understand that you are taking a chance that you could have anything from rain, thunderstorms through to hurricanes. But that wouldn't stop me!!! Honestly I have been going to Rotonda West for the past 15 years and believe me, we have had some ropey weather - although to be fair I always think that July can be wetter, or maybe that is just my experience. You pay your money and you take your chances. But I say go for it - I am heading (DV) to RW for 3 weeks in August, and if it rains, it rains ....... at least it will be warm rain and it will be over in a short time, unless of course it is a hurricane. You say that you visited 2 years ago, from memory I think that was when we had Hurricane Fay - I was there and we did have a few days when we had a few showers of rain - Orlando had much worse than we had.

As for unmissables - you can't miss Boca Grande - a lovely island retreat (where the billionaires by the millionaires!!) - a definate stop off. Also Punta Gorda, Venice, Siesta Key, Fort Myers..... the list goes on. If you want water parks - then stick to Orlando. Or of course you could travel to Tampa for Busch Gardens... only a short 1hr 30 mins drive.

Can't comment on Bradenton area for a villa ...... you need to go to the Bradenton site for this information. But just curious, can you not get one in RW??????? Of course it is a busy time, but I find it hard to believe that you can't one in the RW area?

Feel free to look through past forums where you will find lots of great information from other posters.............

Anything else, just let us know.

Rosie

Farnham, United...
Level Contributor
209 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When it Rains

John, as Rosie has said wet season June 1st to September but the thunderstorms are usually short 30 minutes and hey presto the sun is out again.

There is a lot to do just depends on what takes your fancy, Myakka State Park is not too far, the

Edison/Ford estates in Fort Myers.

Botanical Gardens, Sarasota

Ringling museum Sarasota, the art gallery is free entry on a Monday.

The big cat rescue Tampa.

Shell factory on the way to Fort Myers.

Kayaking but maybe not in the rain, plus they have the Blue water trails.

Cycling, most owners provide bikes.

Tennis!!

Bowling in Englewood.

We have been on the beach in July and in brilliant sunshine and it is thundering and lightening over Rotonda West but gone as quickly as it came. I have watched the rain and lightening in the distance

and been basking in 90 degrees.

I think the diversity of weather in Florida is amazing but I have to say 2 weeks of rain is unusual so give it another chance, it is a unique area.

Lynne

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When it Rains

It generally doesn't rain for long. In fact, I am here now and it hasn't rained at all. And we desperately need it. Bradenton is fine, and they have their own forum. But most villa rentals in the newer communitites won't be as close to a beach as Rotonda (ie 15 mins). But it is a more built up area.

When it rains here we still swim (if no lightning) and we go to the mall or the movies. Bowling is good too.

August is very hot, rainy in the afternoons/evenings and is the peak of hurricane season. If you want a dry time, pick another month (like april).

Rotonda West
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: When it Rains

"Where are the nearest water parks?"

The nearest is Sunsplash Water Park at Cape Coral. You'll find a family friendly park with exciting slides, a lazy river, paddling pools, volleyball court, loungers to laze on, snack bars, changing rooms, gift shops etc.

Its about a 45min drive from Rotonda West.

There is also a water park up in Tampa called Adventure Island. That's about 1.5hours drive.

Rotonda West has so much to offer......do try it. You'll love it.

Northern Ireland
Destination Expert
for Rotonda West
Level Contributor
744 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When it Rains

You really do learn on this forum!! Never knew there was a water park at Cape Coral .... Thanks Rotondadreaming!

6. Re: When it Rains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 23:17
Get answers to your questions about Rotonda West