We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RW Live Updates!! : October

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
115 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
RW Live Updates!! : October

Off tomorrow for a week!

After some dodgy weather recently, its starting to look good again

My parents are there right now and are leaving tomorrow and they said its not been the best of trips, not only the weather, but there has been Red Tide at BC & Englewood

Anyways .. flying BA straight into TPA, so all being good, should be in RW by 7pm local .. can't wait!!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,914 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RW Live Updates!! : October

I am right after you )on the Sat flight).

Is the red tide over?

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
115 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RW Live Updates!! : October

I don't think so, judging by local websites. However, there has been a lot of wind, rain and high waves in the last few days, so I dont know if this clears it a bit or makes it worse?

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,914 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RW Live Updates!! : October

Me either?

I have unfortuanely booked a night at the Palm Bay resort for Wed night. Here's to hoping the ocean is usable.

Edited: 20 October 2011, 11:33
Falmouth...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: RW Live Updates!! : October

Going down in three weeks. You can't go in the water if theres red tide?

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,914 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RW Live Updates!! : October

Depends on how much, and if you are allergic. Haven't heard of fish kills (which is what happens when it gets bad). Never seen red tide in our area before (I mean, there may have been but never heard of it or seen it there when I have been there).

I'll let you know how it goes and give you a link to check on it.

It doesn't stay for ever, and can affect pretty much anywhere in FL.

Edited: 21 October 2011, 07:47
Falmouth...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: RW Live Updates!! : October

thanks Amanx ! Hope it goes away ! :)

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
115 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RW Live Updates!! : October

BA got us in 15 mins early on Friday! , but we had the usual a 30 min queue to get through immigration

Picked up the car and had a trouble free drive down to RW stopping via McDonalds on Jacaranda (still maintain that this is the best tasting McDonalds ever!) Got to our house around 7.40pm

Up really early yesterday morning and got to Dennys at 6.30am. The waitress there knows us so well and doesn't even offer the menu as she knows exaxctly what we have!

We then went to do a food shop in Walmart and then onto Publix to pick up a few other items

Packed the car with the cool box and chairs and headed to BG

We always go to the middle beach (inbetween the lighthouse beach and South Grill). It was very windy, thankfully we took the windbreaker and it was heaven! The sun shone all day with temps high 70's

However, the beach was not in a good state, 100's of dead fish still littered the sand and there must have been some high tides as the fish had been washed half way back to the dunes. OMG there were loads of big fish (3 feet long)!!

The sea was very rough and you could see the strong current, it really did not look welcoming!

The wind dropped after lunch and then you could feel the red tide irritating your nose and throat a little.

We drove up to PC for an early dinner at the Outback and it was very good as usual and we used our money off coupon and saved $5!!!!

We then had a quick mooch round PC mall and headed home!

Today has been very similar to yesterday. BG beach was less windy and it was wall to wall sunshine again

Tonight we are heading up to PC again and going to Applebees for dinner and watch several NFL games at once!!

Tomorrow we are going up to Clearwater and spending the day on the beach there before a shopping trip to the Tampa International Plaza and then some dinner at the Cheesecake Factory!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,914 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RW Live Updates!! : October

BA got us into Tampa over 40mins late. Because of something like a no fly (rocket launch maybe?) so we had to go almost down to Miami, then up and over to TPA.

Uneventful drive to RW, and stopped at publix as usual. Tried to order a take out Pizza from Rotonda pizza and subs but they have closed ;-(. Hopefully Joes is still open, anyone know?

Went to Pt C this morning after yard work, and went to BAM, Best Buy, the mall (got a Ralph Lauren wool suit for under $200 on sale!!!), and Joe cracker for football and lunch. Then home, pool and Publix and sunset on Manasota key.

A few small dead fish (not many) and I felt no irritation frm the red tide-( but wasn't there long). found a bunch of sharks teeth though.

Niece arriving in an hour from West Palm, and we are having fried chicken, pulled pork, coleslaw, biscuits, and corn. Not sure what we will do tomorrow, maybe go up Sarasota way? Not sure. Still haven't had any stone crabs will try to address this tomorrow ;-)

Edited: 24 October 2011, 00:50
Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
115 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: RW Live Updates!! : October

Yesterday we set out early to head up to Clearwater, it took about 2 hours. We had the most wonderful breakfast in a little cafe called Maggie Maes near Sand Keys.

There was a quite chilly wind on the beach, which got better the longer the morning went on. We sat out for a couple of hours as the sunshine was wonderful. We hadn't been to Clearwater Beach for many years ... Lovely beach very similar to Siesta Key, but very built up with more hotels/apartments going up

Had a 30 minute drive up to Tampa International Plaza where we shopped and ate an early dinner there and then after we popped into Brandon Town Mall for a quick look and then a long drive back .. It's was a long day!!!

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,621 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: RW Live Updates!! : October

How I wish I was there!

Wher is the nearest Cheesecake Factory?

Get answers to your questions about Rotonda West