We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

going in december what not to miss

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
596 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
going in december what not to miss

This will be our second year at Rotunda, will only be the 2 of us Dh and myself .We will be there for 3 weeks over christmas, leaving Florida on the 27th .Is there anything we should nt miss .We did the tour round the canals in punta gorda to see the christmas lights , also fishermans village ,Fort Myers,in fact most of the tourist things.We love the beaches at Englewood and going for our early morning bike ride.Is there any hidden gems we must see or do

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,294 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: going in december what not to miss

Eat or drink at the roof top bar at the Wyvern hotel in PG. Visit anna maria island for great beaches and toes in the sand dining.

Watch a sunset or 6.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,444 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: going in december what not to miss

The Drum Circle on Siesta Key public beach - on Sundays only. It starts about an hour before sundown, weather permitting. And it's free - go a little early as parking usually fills up fast.

Myakka State Park (east of I-75 in the Sarasota area) - just walk around or do the pontoon boat tour. Google it for details. $6/car to go into the park.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
596 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: going in december what not to miss

AhHah what happens at the drum circle , is it just drums and can you eat there,

Sounds like our kind of thing

We know at Bradenton public beach they have music nearly every night at the cafe, love going there and wondered if there was something like that near Rotunda

Amanx been to Anna marie my daughter got married at the far end of the beach about 3 years ago , beautifull beach although it has changed since then

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,444 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: going in december what not to miss

These two websites will have all the info:

www.simplysiestakey.com/DrumCircle.html

http://www.drumcircles.net/sarasota.html

Things have changed a bit though .... while the circle may start off as large as you see in the pics, as the evening progresses, everyone gets closer and closer to end up almost right in front of the drummers. Don't count on being able to sit and see the drummers as so many people are standing in front of you. The last couple of times we went the lady sword dancer wasn't there.

Kids have a lot of fun doing the hula hoop in the circle.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
596 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: going in december what not to miss

AhHah, thank you very much great websites all i can say is wow,cant wait to see it

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,444 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: going in december what not to miss

I hope you enjoy it ... as for eating, while the Drum Circle takes place a few steps from the concession stand at the public beach I'm not sure if it will be open. So play it safe and have dinner before you go. Or carry it to the beach with you.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
596 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: going in december what not to miss

Thank you, will take food with us

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
596 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: going in december what not to miss

If you think of any more interesting places or things to do AhHah pls let me know

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,444 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: going in december what not to miss

To whet your appetite for the Drum Circle you can look at the Siesta Beach webcam at this website:

http://www.simplysiestakey.com/WebCam.html

The actual webcam link is in the body of the page: Live Siesta Beach Web Cam

The camera scans the beach from north (right) to south (left) and at the leftmost end of its movement if you view it on a Sunday while it is still daylight you will see the people start gathering in a circle.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,294 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: going in december what not to miss

AS for music on the beach at Manasota key, Flounders sometimes has some but is across the rd from the beach. On Lemon bay, Stump pass grill has live music at weekends. Don't know if south beach grille (on the beach on Gasparilla island) has live music.

I think Sharkey's on the pier at Venice does sometimes. Check out their websites for details.

Get answers to your questions about Rotonda West