We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting in December/January

Peterborough, UK
Level Contributor
37 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting in December/January

Hi

Thinking of renting a villa in Rotonda West in late December/early January, with my wife and 6 month old baby. What will the weather be like this time of year and is there plenty of walks we can do with our baby?? How do the beaches compare with the beaches further north around Clearwater?

Thanks

Farnham, United...
Level Contributor
209 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting in December/January

Hi

Traditionally december and January are the coldest months in Florida if you can call it cold.

Rotonda West is in the Tropical zone so is warmer than further north in Florida.

We have been in December and I was swimming in the gulf and I like it warm but it does vary last year in November I paddled.

You can occasionally get a cold front blow in which can last 2/3 days and then blows through.

For the most part the weather is fantastic and ideal for walking and the beach.

There 3/4 great beaches in the area Middle beach, Englewood beach and Stump Pass beach our second favourite.

On Gasparilla island is south beach which is our favourite.

Do not leave it too long to book as it is a popular time in this area.

Lynne

Edited: 07 September 2013, 08:22
Epping, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting in December/January

Wrt walking, Rotonda (Florida even) is very flat, and there aren't really any pavements so I wouldn't have said it is a great walking experience. If you drive to the beaches then there are nice walks from there

Overall I would have said the beaches of Clearwater are slightly better than Englewood/Rotonda/Boca Grande but that said I suspect you are probably paying a bit more for accommodation up there. Weather is probably 2 to 3 degrees warmer further south.

We have been last few years for Christmas and its been in the 70s - perfect golf weather, not so sure about sunbathing/sitting on the beach

3. Re: Visiting in December/January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Rotonda West