We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants on the island

Saint Augustine...
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants on the island

Cafe Atlantico never been there on AIA Beach blvd.

Oasis Deck and Restaurant been there very nice place live music every night .Great breakfast,lunch and dinner on Ocean Trace Road at AIA South.

Zaharias Restaurant my favorite since i am middle eastern i love Gyros greek as well as turkish food. on AIA S.

Beachcomber Restaurant on A street on st aug beach

Cafe 11 might be a good restaurant to try on 11th street

Amici Italian Restaurant looks like a good restaurant to try at the corner of 312 and AIA

Salt Water Cowboys nice view outside but wait can be long outside it is on AIA south on dondanville road

Seafood Kitchen nice seafood restaurant to try on AIA nearby dondanville road

Sunset Grille is a great restaurant most locals go there on AIA Beach blv.

Panama Hatties most favorite restaurant on AIA beach blvd.

Jacks Barbaque is also a nice place to hangout on AIA Beach blvd.

Mango Mangos is a good restaurant to try on A street AIA beach blvd.

Dunes Cracker House is a nice laid back place on AIA beach boulevard at 4th street.

And we have pizza places like Dominos Pizza, Pizza hut , Verrazano Pizza, Pizza Garden and Pastabilities .

St Augustine
Level Contributor
136 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants on the island

Murat, have you tried all of those restaurants. You say "good place to try"......or "looks like...."

I am not going to mention any place I have not tried seveal times:

THESE ARE IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER!

1. Zhanras - Good food--rather new. Portions are small and although the prices on each item seem reasonable at first look--you consistently spend a lot here per person if you want to get a full meal. Overall, a positive experinece but not the best place if you are hungry

2. Gypsy Cab - very good--been here forever. Nice servings of veggies with your entree. Good tex-mex style dishes. Gypsy Chicken is a winner.

3. Saltwater Cowboys - Used to be consistently good. I keep being disappointed now and yearning for when it was good. Long lines--not worth the wait for me

4. Oasis - good food. Basic bar food but good. Nice location near the beach

5. Cafe 11 - Good sandwiches and soups and salad. Nice vegetarian fare. Good breakfast.

6. Amici - good pizza and salad. I like all the red based dishes but have been disappointed with Alfredos and any lighter sauced dishes. A great place for pizza, though. Nice owners.

7. Black Knight-- Only open for lunch but great little deli about mid way down the island. Very nice gentleman runs this place. Nice international grocery selection.

8. Sunset Grill - this is where i would head for fried seafood instead of Osteens which has long waits and mediocre food. Sunset Grill is near the beach and has a great beachy atmos[here about it.

9. McKnights Little Ireland - Irish food but much more. Best prime rib and filet I have ever had. Great soups and sandwiches. Fish to die for. Nice folks and good entertainment.

10. Conch House - Great place for cocktails. Food is mediocre but views incredible. Drink here, go somewhere else to eat!

11. Osteens - if you absolutely MUST have fried shrimp and someone else in your party wants fried liver or chopped beef steak or pork chops or something like that, then go for it. The fried shrimp is nice for fried shrimp--hardly the best I have ever eaten and I find the vegetables to be over cooked. However, this place certainly serves it's purpose. You must wait in a line outside, they do not take credit cards and do not serve alcohol. There is NO atmosphere, even by fishhouse standards. If you want real seafood that is not loaded with MSG then go someplace else.

Places I avoid at all costs:

Barnacle Bills, Capt Jacks, Jacks BBQ, Panama Hatties,

Mango Mangos, Dunes Cracker House, Seafarer. Just my opinion but I think you are better off with a bag of chips and a coke than any of these.

. .

orlando florida
Level Contributor
143 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants on the island

1. I have been to Cafe Atlantica and it was wonderful

2. Beachcombers is a great beach bar

3. La Strada Italian is really good.

Saint Augustine...
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants on the island

i am letting our visitors to have a taste of our restaurants :)

Mehmet

St Augustine
Level Contributor
136 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants on the island

Mehmet--I love your enthusiasm. You are always here wanting to help.

But, the visitors who come here to Trip Advisor WANT first hand experience and advice from people who have actually TRIED the restaurants they recommend. So it will be most helpful for you to offer reviews of the one you have visited and liked and not just a list of the restaurants which exist here.

Any of the Tourist Trap magazines here in St. Augustine will offer ads for all the restaurants in town--they want more than that here--they want reviews from the locals who can steer them away from wasting their hard earned travel dollars on yucky food.

There are plenty of GOOD restaurants here in the city run by independent, caring professionals just as there are plenty of yucky tourist traps like you will find in any toursit hot spot. We need to help sort them out so that the diner as a positive dining experience every time--not hit or miss. :)

5. Re: Restaurants on the island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2007, 20:56
LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants on the island

Thanks for your time and energy, Charlesfood for your info on restaurants on the beach side. I have to try some of these, as I am only familiar with some of them (don't go across the bridge that often, and when I do, it is ALWAYS McKnights Little Ireland where I can watch short films!) mehmet, thanks for your enthusiasm!

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
7,677 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants on the island

mehmet, I also like Zaharia's but the last couple of times when I've been staying on the island the restaurant has been closed. I'm usually over there around Sept/Oct but this year it will be November. Is Zahariah's seasonal, and is it likely to be open in November?

Saltwater Cowboy's is a particular favourite - and it's closer for us on the island than many other places. You can't beat watching the sunset over the saltmarsh.

Saint Augustine...
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants on the island

Hi Scozzese when you were here last time Zaharias Restaurant was on vacation but back in Oct 2nd i know i saw that also while i was enjoying my walk on AIA. Don't worry they are not closed for good. It will be here in Nov when u return to St.Augustine area. But just don't do the beach only go to town as well and enjoy the town also while u are here. Every friday on happy hour i am in town lol.

I never been in Salt Water Cowboys but some people like yourself like that place. I once down there just for the view my mom took my picture there as well. It is a long line to wait you know that already. I live closeby there nearby dondanville road and i love the beach and town also :)

Mehmet

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
7,677 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants on the island

Thanks, Mehmet, it's good to know that Zahariah's will be open.

I'll be spending as much time in the city as at the beach ( I like having the best of both worlds!), and St. Augustine is one of my favourite places.

Saint Augustine...
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants on the island

Scozzese you are very welcome. Enjoy the area when u come here in November. I hope i still will be here to read your review about your visit :)

Mehmet