We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winery

lakeland florida
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Winery

Would you suggest a visit to the winery ? Is it worth

it? And does it have a restaurant ?

Thanks so much :)

Saint Augustine...
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winery

Personally i have never been there when i am in downtown . Check the reviews and if it is that good you should visit and enjoy the winery tour.

Mehmet

Saxonburg, PA
Level Contributor
755 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winery

If you like fruit wines go to Vino Del Grotto Winery (Florida Tropical Fruit Wines) at 35 Hypolita Street next to Cafe Del Hildago. They are just a winery shoppe but we had so much fun there. Keonia is so much fun and she served samples of any wine we wanted as well as smoothies that were made with the wine and mixes they sell.

14 pounds of fruit goes into each bottle of wine. They have an amazing selection of wines and all the samples were FREE. Heck we spent probably a half hour there just smapling wines and smoothies with animal crackers in between.

They had a chocolate orange and even a tomatoe pepper wine. It was amazing to actually taste the real flavors come alive in your mouth. The Carrot wine is just too crazy!

My favorite was Mango Mamma and the mix that went with it. We bought some and just had some smoothies here at home. If you like dry wine (which my nephew much prefers) they even have a nice selection of great drier wines. Many of their wines have won awards.

Hope this helps. If you do go, please be sure to mention that the couple from Pittsburgh sent you.

You can then have lunch next door!

Ron

St. Augustine FL
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winery

Is it worth it you ask? Depends on how long you are going to be here. If you are going to be here just a day or two days; no I wouldn't say it is the high point of our wonderful city.

If you are visiting for a week and you run out of other things to see and do, check it out. Also, if you have toured French wineries, or California wineries, or even wineries in the northeast USA, you will be totally bored with the one here.

First and foremost they don't make the wine on site here - it is actually made near when you hail from - in nearby Claremont FL.

Before locals come by and kill me for the above,......What is nice here is the rooftop on Fri. and Sat. nights - there is a band and dancing under the stars (providing it doesn't rain - last Sat. we were rained out!). It does get crowded, so go early to get a table.

Only problem with that is they only sell their wine at the bar (Not fond of their wine either). I know, I know, many people will be aghast at that statement! Sorry, it is just my opinion. I drank beer.

No they don't have a restaurant, but light snacks can be ordered. It is fun those nights! Enjoy !

St. Augustine FL
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winery

sstenz, I see by your profile you asked on a Napa forum about visiting a winery there. Did you end up visiting one there? Just so you know, this ain't Napa, LOL.

st augustine fl
Level Contributor
299 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winery

I would suggest a visit to the winery. There is a free tour and wine tasting daily. My wife and i enjoy there wine very much. We have also enjoyed the celler upstairs which is open on Fri. and Sat. nights and late Sunday afternoon. They usually have a good jazz band. No restaurant but there are a lot of good restaurants close by in the downtown area.

Hope you enjoy your stay!

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winery

I would not put the winery tour on my top 20 to do here, but if you like wine and want to taste, go ahead and visit. You may indeed like the outside music and dancing on the weekends - that definitely is worth it and there is no cover for the going in to listen to the music. Many of my guests either LOVE the wine or HATE the wine there; to each his own. If you have visited the Napa wineries, you may be disappointed in our small town winery.

7. Re: Winery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 20:18
Get answers to your questions about St. Augustine