We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning 1st Visit

Which Saint Augustine hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Planning 1st Visit

Would like to visit Saint Augustine next year in either May or June and will stay in the Old City. When is the area less crowded? Are there any events that take place in May or June that draw crowds.

Thanks for our help.

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning 1st Visit

June and Sept are the quieter, less crowded, less expensive times in the Old City as far as visitors, tourism. The beaches, however, would be busier in June. Yes, there are events weekly; not any great huge ones I can think of right now.

It is very hot, however, more so than where you hail from in June and Sept. One needs to get out and do things early in the day and in the evening; and do inside things in the hot hot afternoon hours. Come on down!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
804 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning 1st Visit

KatieCC here are some links for you to check out the offerings in St. Augustine. I usually spend one week out of the year. Love the place but other things to see and do too :)

www.oldcity.com

www.getaway4florida.com

May is a great time to visit in fact that is most often my choice.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
340 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning 1st Visit

May will certainly be cooler for you to visit. The larger festivals will be over by then. The ocean will be plenty warm for swimming and hopefully you will avoid the summertime thunder storms. No matter when you come, you will enjoy this unique city.

Canada
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning 1st Visit

Thanks so much for the great info.

Now I am looking for recommendations on where to stay. We are a couple in our fifties and like to stay in boutique hotels. Would like to be close to the water (although not a must) and within walking distance of restaurants, attractions etc. (We are open to all suggestions though).

Also, is there enough in St Augustine and the surrounding area to keep us occupied for a week? We'll start by exploring on foot and using the trollies etc, then we'll rent a car for a few days.

Thanks again.

st augustine fl
Level Contributor
299 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning 1st Visit

KatieCC, If you like that kind of hotel then my suggestion is the CASA MONICA. It is in the heart of downtown and walking distance to everything. Yes, there is plenty to do here for a week.I know you will enjoy your stay here. May is a good time to come. It is usually not as hot as June. I would suggest make your reservations early. If the economy improves it will start to get busy in may.

Salisbury, North...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning 1st Visit

KatieCC,

Good morning , there are some pretty good ideas on the following posts!Check out the "Things to do" and some dining ideas . You never said if there is going to be children teens or just adults ( may have missed it).

When it gets closer to the time you can check out a few web sites for details as was said . Like Jag said I would make reservations ASAP. I have already made reservations for June.

If you have any specific questions I am sure someone here will be able to help!

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning 1st Visit

Casa Monica is the ONLY boutique hotel in the Old City, but it has gone from #1 to wayyyy down the list in the past year. Many bad reviews. Since you adked for "any advice", If you like boutique hotels, I suggest you stay at one of our many Bed and Breakfast Inns (for less than you would pay for a room at Casa Monica)in the Old City. There would be extras like balconies, breakfast, quiet, free parking, no sound of the ice machine or the elevators, nor the sound of someone's lovely children let to run up and down the halls. etc. Most of the negative reviews of the Casa Monica talk of

how noisy it is there and no one attends to it.

Check out the reviews of a Mom & Pop's B & B's against the Casa Monica and I think you will agree they are much better; higher rated, especially one of the top five especially.

If you have never tried one, it is time and I can promise you if you pick the right one, you will NEVER want to stay in a hotel again. I like the pampering. Enjoy our fair city! You will love it here.

st augustine, fl
Destination Expert
for Saint Augustine
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning 1st Visit

I too would recommend a top 5 B and B for you over the Casa Monica. And the first weekend in June is the re-enactment of Drake's Raid!!Sorry, have to plug it because I always enjoy plundering the town even if we can't burn it down as Drake did. Early May is usually before the humidity hits....

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
340 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning 1st Visit

I agree with the B&B suggestions - St Aug certainly has many to choose from. The Casa Monica has been resting on it's reputation and even that is getting tired. But a week in a B&B would be a long visit. Have you considered renting a condo for the week? Maybe something oceanfront. That way you could have the best of both worlds. The driving distance wouldn't be that great and you could still visit the historic district as much as you wanted.

With that much time to spend, you should make sure to visit Washington Oaks State Park and its coquina beach. One of the more unique beaches in Florida. You might also want to consider a day trip to Cape Canaveral. The Ravines State Park in Palatka would also be nice to visit in May.

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning 1st Visit

Auntie C, you are right, I didn't remember that the poster wanted to stay a week. That is a bit long for one B & B, but perhaps half the week with one & half the other!!

Anyway, vrbo.com is a great site for rentals and a condo rental would probably be the least expensive.

Also Win Kelly has beach cottages to rent:

(904) 471-7170

1-888-963-8272

http://www.beach-cottages.com

or email win@beach-cottages.com

Get answers to your questions about Saint Augustine