We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Memorial Weekend trip report

Which St. Augustine hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
795 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
My Memorial Weekend trip report

We had reservations at the Renaissance @ World Golf Village and got there Friday afternoon. I knew it was about 15 minutes out of St. Augustine but wanted to stay there anyway....got a pretty decent rate. I thought the resort was really nice. The lobby is nice with lots of places to sit and relax. It has a waterfall that flows through the middle of the lobby with a huge skylight. After we checked in, we went to the Vilano Pier to do some fishing. We had no luck but the kids had fun. After fishing, we went to Aunt Kate's for dinner. I just wrote a review about it. It was ok but not sure i'd go back. I ordered the salmon and it wasn't very good. After that we went back to the hotel and chilled for a while and went to bed. Saturday we went shopping at the outlet malls which were about 5 miles from the hotel. After shopping, we went back to the resort and ate at Caddyshack. We just had sandwiches which were good. We then went to see Night at the Museum at the IMAX theatre. After that my son and i drove into St. Augustine and walked around the historic district. I love the historic district!! My son was not thrilled about going in all the shops...he hates shopping. We did stop in The Prince of Wales for a bite to eat. WE ordered the blue cheese sticks for an app and shared the fish and chips for dinner. The cheese sticks were really good. The fish and chips were ok. I expected them to be better than they were due to all the reviews. For dessert we had the sticky toffee pudding. Now that was delicious! We could hardly walk when we got done. Sunday, we went back to the historic district with the rest of the family. The sun actually came out that day! WE ate at Harrys for lunch. I know alot of you don't care for it but i really like Harry's. I had the chicken baton rouge with corn grits...yummy! After that back to the hotel to get in the pool. We hung around the hotel the rest of the day and came home today...after my son and i tried our luck at fishing again....we weren't very lucky today either!

Saint Augustine...
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Memorial Weekend trip report

Hi Gatorgurl i thought you guys usually stay at the beach side. i wish you did you would be closer to downtown . Thanks for the lovely trip report looks like you enjoyed staying at world golf village at the Renaissance hotel and enjoyed downtown as well :)

Mehmet

Salisbury, North...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Memorial Weekend trip report

Gatorgurl,

Boy, it sounds like you had some bad luck fishing I wonder if the weather had anything to do with it? Two days in a row what in the world where you using for bait? Was anyone else catching anything? If not then it very well may have been the weather hate that.

I was kind of watching the weather at least you dodged the rain it seemed to be sitting right on top of The Old City. Hate to hear that you had some so so meals especially Aunt Katies when everyone had spoke so highly of it ( what about what the rest of the family had?) and Prince of Wales which has gone way beyond the newness stage.

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Memorial Weekend trip report

Thanks for sharing! Re Aunt Kate's perhaps it was because the salmon can never be fresh in this area as it comes from the Northwest. Were the other members of your family happy with Aunt Kate's?

I never understand why people rave about the Prince of Wales fish & chips either. But then, I am not a fan of fried food anyway.

Would you stay way out at WGV again?

I am glad you got the good weather as earlier in the week it was torrential rain for days!

Harry's for lunch is probably better than Harry's for dinner. Being from the historic district, I just know so many of the small Mom & Pop's restaurant owners and they are the ones suffering in these economic times - not chains like Harry's and Columbia. So I always direct visitors to their restaurants rather than chains. BUT I would never send anyone to a place that I didn't think they would get consistent service, great food at a fair price EVERY time.

Please let us know about Aunt Kate's and the rest of your families' meals there okay? Thanks again for giving back! We so appreciate you gatorgurl!

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
579 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: My Memorial Weekend trip report

gatorgurl, How was the movie? Saw the 1st one and loved it. Should I invest in seeing it at IMAX or just wait until it comes out on video?

Florida
Level Contributor
795 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My Memorial Weekend trip report

We do usually stay at the beach but the reason we stayed @ WGV is because i got a rate of $99 a night which was much cheaper than on the beach for Memorial Day Weekend. And i knew the weather was not going to be that good so figured we would skip the beach this time. I would stay there again if i just wanted to relax and not really go anywhere. Of course i'm sure i would have to drive into St. Augustine at least once. The resort is a really good place to relax. Oh, and i would only stay if i got the same rate. :) I'm on a budget these days!

As far as Aunt Kates, I may give them another try some day. My son thought his food was ok but my daughter did not like hers. She just had mac n' cheese but it was a little on the dry side. I do believe in giving a second chance if it wasn't horrible the first time. And Prince of Wales was good but not great as far as the fish and chips. They just seemed average really. I didn't see anything special about it. My son actually did not like the breading on the fish. I would like to try some other restaurants around the historic district but sometimes its hard to get everyone in my party to agree.

My son was fishing with frozen shrimp on the vilano pier. That's all we could find for bait. I'm sure we could have found some live shrimp somewhere but the weather was bad so i didn't know how long we'd be able to fish anyway. We fished yesterday on the St Johns River and then on a lake in Gainesville. He was using worms and livers. Fishing is not my thing but my son loves it.

Florida
Level Contributor
795 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My Memorial Weekend trip report

lobbybobby - the movie was ok. I think i'd wait for it to come out on video. What i really wish we'd seen is Star Trek. I hear it's awesome.

Saint Augustine...
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My Memorial Weekend trip report

Oh i see 99 dollars is a good deal especially for st johns county 's world golf village area. Weather wasn't too bad on friday on the beach i saw some people and actually even cars on the beach too. Sunday was a lot better weather it was sunny ,very warm even Monday yesterday as well.

st augustine, fl
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My Memorial Weekend trip report

He gator, thanks for the report on Aunt Kate's ...saves me the trip! For LN: Farm raised salmon is flown in from Chile: first stop is usually Miami. I like the breading on the fish at Prince of Wales, but the actual fish is much better at McNeals (former McKnights...). They use Haddock as opposed to POW's cod. We went to the new Epic 21 theatre joint and saw Wolverine which was OK, then snuck (OK, I'm a pirate) into Night at Museum. Glad we did, because my wife wanted to see it at the Imax, which would have been $13. I think it was worth $1 rental at a Red Box.

Re Harry's: I've found it hit or miss. She crab soup awesome one time, oversalted the next. I never know which one it's gonna be so I usually don't recommend it. A good place to fish is from the bridge near the San Sebastian winery.

cheers,

Da capn

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
579 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: My Memorial Weekend trip report

O.K....That's 2 thumbs down for Night at the Museum. Good enough for me. I'll wait for redbox.

Salisbury, North...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My Memorial Weekend trip report

Capn,

Trying to get my bearing about the bridge your talking about . Is it the one where Broudys is where the St Johns finest ( Police station) is? I thought they stopped fishing from there? Maybe not...I also used to see people fish at the Bridge at the school of Deaf and Blind gate never saw anyone catch anything there and the last time I looked low tide got really really low. I used to catch alot of crab right there at low tide have not done that in a while. And shrimp with a cast net close to that area across the street .