We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General questions about lodging and places to eat

Which St. Augustine hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indy
Destination Expert
for Indianapolis
Level Contributor
493 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
General questions about lodging and places to eat

Hey everyone. This August, the wife and I will be heading down to St. Augustine Florida for a three day trip. We will have three full days available to see various places and visit the beach. Our background is that we like to sight see and see new things while on vacation. We don't mind short walks/hikes. We also don't mind driving an hour or so to see or explore something unique in the surrounding areas. We don't like to be tied down for hours on end. I would say we would be OK with tours/boat rides/etc. lasting no more than three hours.

Activities: Given our likes and dislikes, I already have an idea of things we would like to see/do on our stay in St. Augustine. For starters, we would like to visit the beach at least one day. Is it true that for the best beach experience, one should go to the state park? Other things that are of interest to us are the Pirate Museum, St. Augustine lighthouse and museum, alligator farm, Castillo de San Marcos Nat'l. Monument, and Ft. Matanzas Nat'l. Monument. We prefer self-guided tours for the most part, but as noted above we are open to guided tours that don't take up most of our time.

Food: When it comes to food, both of us are plain eaters. We like basic beef hamburgers, pizza, chicken, typical breakfast foods (pancakes, bacon, scrambled eggs), and my wife likes fish. Who has the better pizza and dining experience overall: Kozmic Bluz, Pizzalley's, Pizza Time, Borrillo's, or Benito's? What is a good place for a good grilled, plain hamburger, grilled chicken breast, and french fries? When it comes to fish, my wife like ocean fish. Her favorite is orange roughy, so if there is a place in town that offers that, let me know. If that isn't available, she also likes grouper, cod, and flounder. For breakfast, we like reasonably price buffets with scrambled eggs, crispy bacon, pancakes, and waffles. To me, reasonably priced is around $8/person, but I understand prices might be a little higher. We would rather eat at local places and try to stay away from chains if at all possible. We aren't drinkers at all, so there is no need for any sort of full-bar or anything like that. Beach front places would be nice, especially some that might have outdoor seating overlooking the water. Our price range for lunch and dinner is no more than $12/person. Since we are on vacation, we are willing to pay a little more if need be.

Lodging: Given the above, what is a good place to stay? At first I thought a beach front hotel would be good. However, I have read many reviews that say the best place to spend a few hours, or maybe half a day, at the beach is Anastasia State Park. Given that, we are pretty much open to your typical Holiday Inn/Ramada type hotels. Any recommendations from folks on the forums? Our likes are: Interior corridors, nice pool, TV with Cable TV, and free parking at the hotel. We also like places that offer some foods and drinks for breakfast. At a minimum cereal, coffee, and oj. I would like to stay under $120/night, closer to $100 if possible.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. TA Fourms have really helped with finding things to do.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
421 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: General questions about lodging and places to eat

Well, Ravekid, you certainly know what you like!! With only 3 days you are going to be very rushed to see all that St. Augustine offers. Have you read the articles in the upper right side of this page? This is a good place to start. It would be a good idea to go to the hotels area and put in your price range and see what looks good to you so you can ask specific questions about . You might want to search something like "best pizza" to see all the answers you get. That is a hot opinion!! Break it down and ask more specific questions. I am overwhelmed to try to answer at this stage of your planning.

One suggestion, since you will be here in August and it will be very hot. Sightsee in the morning and beach in the afternoon. All this is something to think about and then get back with the forum!! You are going to have a blast!

2. Re: General questions about lodging and places to eat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2012, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about St. Augustine