We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General St. Augustine Questions

Boston
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
General St. Augustine Questions

I am planning a FL. vacation for my husband two kids ( 9 & 12) and me for the last week of July/first week of August.

We will spend 3 days in Orlando and then want low key beach time. Last year, we did this and the second portion of our vacation was in Cocoa Beach. It was too commerical for my tastes. After a few posts here, I've identified St. Augustine and Satellite Beach as places I might like. However, I know nothing about either.

Any information or other tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

Florida
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: General St. Augustine Questions

St. Augustine is about as close to "Old Florida" as it gets on the east coast. Though it is being steadily built up, some areas are still low key, such as the Crescent Beach area. This is a very nice place to spend some time with the family.

georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: General St. Augustine Questions

My husband, 2 young children and I vacation in St Augustine every year. The area is rich with history and fun. There is so much to see and do. You can ride the trolley around and hear great stories about the area. The beach is nice, not the best I've seen, but still a nice place to relax. I highly recommend St Augustine as a great vacation spot. If you love seafood like I do, you'll love Schooner's!

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: General St. Augustine Questions

St. Augustine is a little town about 1 hour away from Daytona Beach, it's an old town which has an old fort, a light house, outlet malls, and a gator farm, it's a nice little town to relax in, and i'm sure you'll love this place.

Lakeland, Fl
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: General St. Augustine Questions

If you want Low-Key beach time you might consider Fort Desoto Park south of St. Petersburg. Rated one of the best Beaches in the US. It is a large [1136 acres] Pinellas county park therefore little commercialization, camping is available. Plenty of motel/hotel space in Tampa Bay Area.

Check their website...

www.pinellascounty.org/park/05_Ft_DeSoto.htm

I would go to St. Augustine for the old quarter, stay in the old quarter in a B&B [done that ,want to again!], some people like the beaches there a lot especially Anastasia State Park. Go climb the Lighthouse! Ride a buggy through town! The Lightner Museum is Fantastic!

Satellite Beach??...I grew up in Melbourne just south of there and spent my share of time at Canova Beach[next to SatBch]...A1A[the 4-lane Coastal Highway] is shoved right up against the beach condos on the beach. Might be better off further South down towards Melbourne Beach or even Sebastian Inlet!

For me it would be St. Augustine or the Gulf Coast!

Get answers to your questions about St. Augustine