We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

Which St. Augustine hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City
Level Contributor
41 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report

Hi, everyone. I (35 y.o. single gal) and my parents just recently spent 8 days in the St. Augustine area, and I thought I would share a few things about our trip.

We flew into Orlando and rented a car there because it was cheaper than flying into Jacksonville. We booked a condo through Vacation Rental Pros and stayed in Windjammer 314. We loved the condo, and we got to meet the owner when he came by one day. Really nice guy and very professional. Vacation Rental Pros didn't seem to be as on top of things as he would like (and we observed the same), so he is more of a hands on owner. Definitely a good thing! The condo was great! Everything is very new. Great kitchen. There is just about everything you would need there. Bad mosquitos on the lanai and outside the front door, but that's nothing that he or VRP can do anything about. It's right on Crescent Beach. We walked on the beach almost every morning and loved it. Never did get in except for wading in the surf.

In old St. Augustine we visited the fort, the Old Jail, the Oldest Store, the St. A museum, and the Ximenez-Fatio house. We would highly recommend the fort, the Old Jail, and the house. The other 2...not so much. We did the trolley tour which was kind of fun. The shops around there are just so-so, but fun to look at for a day. We went to the outlet malls one day, and they were decent...but not nearly as good as the Premium Outlets in Orlando which we did on our last day before a late flight out. We went to the Lighthouse and climbed all the stairs to the top. Definitely worth a visit. We drove up to Jacksonville one day and went to the Kingsley Plantation and the Anheuser-Busch brewery. Both were worth the visit. We had planned to go to the Sandollar restaurant near the Plantation, but it was closed. We were starving and ended up at CiCi's Pizza instead. Not exactly what we had in mind, but it was fine. We took A1A back to Crescent Beach from Jax which was fun. Lots to look at on the way. On the day we flew home, we drove down through Daytona Beach to get to Orlando. That was a fun scenic drive as well.

As for food, we liked A1A Aleworks and Florida Cracker Cafe in old St. A. We had a great breakfast at Oasis, and we enjoyed South Beach Grill in Crescent Beach TWICE. :-) We also really liked Carrabba's in St. A. One place that we didn't like as well was the Columbia restaurant in old St. A. Because we had a fully furnished kitchen in our condo, we made a few meals there as well.

All in all, it was a great time! We were very impressed with how clean the beach was and everywhere else that we went. Also, the people are so friendly and polite. Coming from Kansas City, that is not usual, as Midwesterners are typically much the same, but it was very different than what I/we have experienced in other parts of Florida (further south).

If anyone has any questions, let me know!

Edited: 28 May 2012, 19:27
LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report

Thanks so much for posting your trip review to help other travelers!

You did alot in your time in the area! Wow !

Come back soon !

Atlanta
Level Contributor
421 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report

I was wondering what you didn't like about the Columbia? Thank you for the trip report, I enjoyed it!

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,642 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report

Thank you so much for posting an HONEST review of your vaca. From the Condo, rental Firm, bugs, restaurants and beaches. Really helpful to future travelers. South Beach Grill is a favorite of ours. You sure did cover a lot of ground.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,412 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report

"I was wondering what you didn't like about the Columbia? Thank you for the trip report, I enjoyed it!"

The Columbia is not one of my favorites for several reasons. This is my opinionated opinion speaking here.

1) It is not the best Columbia in the statewide chain. Others (e.g. Ybor City & maybe Celebration) are better.

2) One of it's main strengths is it's location, not particularly it's great food. People don't have to go out of the way to find it. It's just there for the tourist trade. I'm not saying they have bad food. It's just not great food...worth going out of your way for.

5. Re: Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2013, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about St. Augustine