We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finally booked a place! Now what to do???

Which St. Augustine hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Corbin, Kentucky
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
Finally booked a place! Now what to do???

After WEEKS of searching and reading and stressing out, we finally reserved a room at St Augustine Beach House. I am excited and nervous!

We havent been to St Augustine in years, and our 9 yr old son has never been. There's so much we want to do and have no idea how to prioritize and cram everything into the 4 days that we'll be there.

Some definates on our list include... of course the fort, a ghost tour, the lighthouse, and we're gonna drive down to the daytona speedway. I would like to do a scenic/dolphin cruise if there's something like that? What are some other "must do's"?? I definately want some down time by the pool and the beach too!

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
17 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finally booked a place! Now what to do???

One day I say the alligator farm in morning to early afternoon. Look at their website as they do feedings and shows throughout the day. See when is the best time to go. If you are going in the summer go as early as possible...it gets HOT. They also have zip lines now. Maybe after the alligator farm to the beach or pool to relax. Then shower up for dinner.

Another day walk around downtown St. George Street area, the fort and bayfront. There's lots to see here from shops to old architecture. Lots of restaruants to stop at along the way.

You mentioned Daytona...this can be an all day trip. The drive down A1A is a senic drive to Daytona. You will pass a small water park there called Daytona Lagoon on your way to the speedway. It has putt-putt, game room, go carts, water park and I think lazer tag. I like going to the water park. So when you go down and see the speedway (not much to see unless you are going there for something) pack your swim suits and a towel. Between St. Augustine and Daytona on A1A is Marineland. You used to be able to swim with dolphins there (for a price).

Last day maybe visit the light house where you can climb to the top and walk through the old light keepers house. Do a ship tour on Black Raven pirate ship.

There is lots to do here in St. Augustine. I would pick several things to do. Then when you get here choose what you want to do depending on time of day and the weather. All the things I mentioned are things that I take family to see and do when they are in town. The nephews and cousins really like the fort, beach (if they are into that), water park, Black Raven pirate ship, and Alligator Farm.

Have fun!

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,259 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finally booked a place! Now what to do???

Hi Crystal,

Take a trolley tour. It's a good tour, and you'll see things you want to do.

The Entertainment book is cheap this time of year, and getting cheaper. It now costs $9 with free shipping. Use it just once and already the book has more than paid for itself. Note that it is the Entertainment book for Jacksonville that has the coupons for Saint Augustine.

These are the Saint Augustine coupons:

Old Town Trolley Tours - Buy 1 get 1, Coupon E56

Original Ghost Tours of St. Augustine - Buy 1 get 1, Coupon 57

A Ghostly Encounter - buy 1 get 1, Coupon E60

Limelight Theatre - Buy1 get 1, Coupon E84 Up to $25

The Old Jail - Buy 1 get 1, Coupon E67

Aviles - 32 Avenida Menedez. 826-2005. $15 Card 1

Ximenez Fatio House - Up to 4 tickets at 50% off. Coupon E43

Lightner Museum - buy 1 get 1 (up to 2 free), Coupon E44

Dow Museum of Historic Houses - buy 1 get 1. Coupon E45

Fort Menendez - E46 2for1 ticket; and E47 is a 2 for1 for music show

Villa Zorayda - 2 for1 ticket, Coupon E49

Spanish Military Hospital Museum - Up to 4 tickets at 50% off. E50

Potter’s Wax Museum - buy 1 get 1, Coupon E51

Government House Museum - buy1 get 1, Coupon E52

Entertainment book: http://jacksonville.entertainment.com/discount/change_location.shtml?location=Saint+Augustine%2C+Florida&as_fid=42

Enjoy your visit!

Spirit

st augustine, fl
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finally booked a place! Now what to do???

Government house museum was free but now it's closed for renovation. Skip the wax museum with a 9 year old I'd skip the dow houses, limelight museum and lightner. for the dolphin tour, contact st augustine eco tours, and he might like the Black Raven....

Corbin, Kentucky
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Finally booked a place! Now what to do???

Thank you all SO much for all the great suggestions!! I'm making lots of notes and can't wait to get there! Definately going to get the entertainment book, thank you for that information.

Unfortunately I realized just after booking that St Augustine Beach House did not have a pool :'( So I've shed a few tears of frustration and now back to searching for a place!

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,167 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finally booked a place! Now what to do???

To your north, the Guana Tolomato Preserve has an impressive nature center, complete with a life-sized righ whale.

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/coastal/sites/gtm/

Just north of St. Augustine (and a bit hard to find), the Fort Mose State Park has lots of herons, ducks, and whatnot early in the morning and offers a great introduction to St. Augustine (and South Carolina) history. It's a great preparation for visiting the Castillo.

http://www.floridastateparks.org/fortmose/

Anastasia State Park banned driving on the beach, which has been popular with barefoot runners and shorebirds. There's a boat concession at their calm-water Salt Run. It is one of the most popular parks in the system. Ask about painted bunting birds and beach mice on Conch Island, and about how the St. Augustine Inlet used to run directly through what is now the park (the Army Corps of Engineers rearranged the geography).

floridastateparks.org/anastasia/default.cfm

At the entrance to Anastasia are the Alligator Farm (now an official historic site) and another landmark, the Surf Station surf shop. They always have great tee shirts, and it's kind of breathtaking to walk through the board room--they're the east coast distributor for a major California board company.

Check out the historic hotels. I don't know that you'd want a tour of Flagler College, the most elaborate and an architectural landmark because it was one of the first concrete building in the US. Casa Monica hotel is in a building that went from hotel to county courthouse back to hotel.

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Finally booked a place! Now what to do???

YES, a 9 year old will love the Alligator Farm (adults love it too.) Go early (when it opens) as it gets hot. You will also then be able to watch the gator feeding frenzy. Enjoy !

7. Re: Finally booked a place! Now what to do???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2013, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about St. Augustine