We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Augustine At Night???./ Best ghost tour

Which St. Augustine hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seminole, Florida
1 post
Save Topic
St Augustine At Night???./ Best ghost tour

I will be coming up soon. I was wondering if you are able to explore the streets of St Augustine amongst ourselves at night and take our own pictures or do we have to have tour guide? Also what would be the best Ghost Tour? I see their are a few.. Thank You :-)

Atlanta
Level Contributor
118 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Augustine At Night???./ Best ghost tour

I went on one some years back. It was disappointing - not nearly as kitschy as I was hoping.

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
114 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Augustine At Night???./ Best ghost tour

It's a very safe town to walk- even after dark- but the history and tidbits you'll get from a local will make a big difference. I'd do a tour- maybe the 1st night to get your bearings & then you can branch off after that. :)

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Augustine At Night???./ Best ghost tour

Regular tours check out on this link:

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g34599-Activitie…

Click on Tours on the top of page.

I would say all the ghost tours are all kinda kitschy. I can tell you I have seen many many walking ghost tours starting off with many participants and as they continue to walk around the city, many of the participants drop off the tour. But if I was going to take one of them I would do the Sheriff's tour. That is very long too.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g34599-d18…

There is so much to do when here and I think you may be tired at night and just want to walk to a nice restaurant and have dinner instead of a long ghost tour.

If I was taking a riding kitschy ghost tour it would be the Ghosts and Gravestones Trolley of the Damned so I could ride on the trolley for the way around.

St. Augustine, FL
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
682 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Augustine At Night???./ Best ghost tour

For a walking Ghost Tour I enjoy the Ghostly Experience Walking Tour. The group leader will be dressed in period costume - and will usually be a longtime resident well-versed in the town's lore, or a Flagler College student (usually majoring in Drama!!) . The tours can be long - 90 minutes at the end of a long day of touring - but you can drop out if you get tired. I also enjoy the Ripley's Ghost Train Adventure - especially in the summer when riding through town creates a nice breeze. I also enjoyed touring the Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum at night - that is part of the Ripley's Ghost Train Adventure. Google these tours - they all have substantial web sites - and let us know what YOU think after you visit.

Orlando, Florida...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Augustine At Night???./ Best ghost tour

IMO the tour with the most bang for your buck is the Dark of the Moon Lighthouse tour. Its not overdramatized, and it allows you the opportunity to investigate the entire premises (Lighthouse included) for an hour after the initial hour long and very interesting spiel telling you of its history. I've walked St. George St., around the Fort and snapped pictures of both cemetaries as well and never had a problem, even at 2am. Hope that helps.

Edited: 16 August 2012, 01:36
6. Re: St Augustine At Night???./ Best ghost tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 August 2012, 02:05
LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Augustine At Night???./ Best ghost tour

The Dark of the Moon has mainly good reviews on here. One has to be fit enuf to climb 300 steps in semi=darkness with many people above and below you so you have to keep moving. It is quite a climb.

Orlando, Florida...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St Augustine At Night???./ Best ghost tour

Agree with your post in that it is quite the climb. 219 up, 219 down in darkness, however, you don't really need to keep moving as there are plenty of landings for you to "pull over" and gather yourself. And the stairwell is actually wide enough for people to go around you. On the tour I was on this past Saturday night, we (unfortunately) had a pretty big-sized group, and there didn't seem to be any problems for people who were slower either due to health issues or timidness. I went up and down 2 1/2 times during the investigation so that's close to 1,000 steps and I am far from a fitness freak :)

9. Re: St Augustine At Night???./ Best ghost tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2013, 10:18
Get answers to your questions about St. Augustine