We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Girls getaway weekend

Which St. Augustine hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Girls getaway weekend

I'll be traveling to St. Augustine and meeting up with five girlfriends from high school this weekend. We are all in our early 50's and have our hotel rooms booked, but I wondered if anyone could recommend a nice restaurant for us to have dinner? Not really looking for somewhere we would have to be all dressed up, and one of us is not a big fan of seafood, but otherwise we're open to whatever you can suggest!

Thanks!!

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,243 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Girls getaway weekend

Hello Tina Lee,

You can go casually dressed to any restaurant in Saint Augustine. You will see many people at dinner very casually dressed. This is a tourist town, and it's hot!

Athena Restaurant, 14 Cathedral Pl, Saint Augustine, FL 32084 Telephone: (904) 823-9076 for reservations. Greek food. I like Athena restaurant because the decibel level is frequently low enough that you can talk! (Unlike most restaurants these days.) People frequently order the saganaki plate. It's is goat cheese which is set on fire and the fire then doused with lemon juice. They make a big production of it by setting it on fire at your table. You have to yell "oppa!" It’s an appetizer. The four in my group shared one of them. It's a 4”X 4” piece of cheese about ¼” thick that they flame with alcohol. It has good flavor. And flaming the cheese is a great act!http://www.athenacafe.com/

Columbia is a very nice Cuban restaurant locatetd in the middle of the pedestrian street. (You've probably been to the original one in Ybor City in Tampa.) They have a parking lot behind the restaurant for their patrons. Make a reservation so that you don't have to wait for a table.

904 824-3341 www.columbiarestaurant.com/st_augustine.asp

Gypsey Cap Company,It's about a mile beyond the Bridge of Lions at 828 Anastasia Blvd, Saint Augustine, FL 32080-4660. 904-824-8244 Make reservatilons. Good food! And they have a parking lot. http://www.gypsycab.com/

Enjoy your visit!

Spirit

Edited: 01 August 2012, 21:56
Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,412 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Girls getaway weekend

Some of my favorites that you can walk to are:

Old City House http://www.oldcityhouse.com/

Le Pavillion http://www.lepav.com/

The Raintree http://www.raintreerestaurant.com/

Casa Maya

This tiny restaurant offers fresh, organic ingredients to make the most delicious Mayan dishes.

17 Hypolita St

St Augustine, FL 32084

(904) 217-3039

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Girls getaway weekend

Where are you staying? If in the Old City, I suggest The Tasting Room and they often have entertainment on weekends.

Another choice would be sitting outside overlooking the harbour and a very busy street for people watching at A1A Ale Works. Definitely need reservations as these restaurants are very busy!!! On weekends the wait could be hours without a reservation. That would spoil an evening for sure.

I feel both of these choices would be "fun" places for your girl group! Staying in the historic district enables you to walk to your dining place and the Old City is a wonderful place to just walk and enjoy the night air.

Hope this helps. Enjoy !

Edited: 02 August 2012, 03:11
St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
114 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Girls getaway weekend

I'm planning a GNO next week at Tasting Room. It's delish if you're looking for a casual elegance & you can share tapas or order entrees.

Barley Republic is a fun Irish place that makes everything in house. The owner, Red, is usually on hand {every time I've been}. I like that.

I just ate at Cafe Alcazar (open lunch only except first Fri art walk- this Fri) and was *very impressed*. Best panini ever?!?!

The Columbian is good if you've never been- since you're a Floridian, I'm guessing you've already experienced it at one of their locations, in which case I'd try a local only spot instead. :)

Oh, and someone mentioned Casa Maya, they're closed while they move across the street.

As you see by the posts, everyone has their favorites- you won't be disappointed.

St. Augustine, FL
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
681 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Girls getaway weekend

Friends just dined recently at The Floridian on Cordova Street and raved about it - food is all FRESH and LOCAL. And I tried Gas A Full Service Restaurant just across the Bridge of Lions from downtown and LOVED it - eclectic and fun food - burgers, sandwiches, seafood - but prepared from all local ingredients - can we say FRESH? Both restaurants have parking if you need it. So many choices!!!! (I believe The Floridian is BYOB because they are across the street from a church - call first if you want wine with your meal.)

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
114 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Girls getaway weekend

Actually, you can purchase beer & wine at the bar in the back of The Floridian & carry to your table. :) Servers aren't overly friendly {smile, people!} but food is creative. If you want to talk & catch up, go early- its close quarters & noisy later.

GAS! Amazing food & friendly service!!! What'd you eat, O Max? Yummmmm...

st augustine, fl
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Girls getaway weekend

GAS is OK, hit or miss (I have friends who live nearby and report on their most recent experiences), The Floridian, food is good but a bit pricey for what it is (pulled pork sandwich about $10 but is much better at the new Mojo's down the street.) Casa Maya has just moved across the street from its old location and is opening today. The Bistro de Leon serves up tasty french fare on the Plaza. Casa Maya is a personal fave, and A1A Aleworks comes in a close second because of its consistency, ie. consistently good food. All my guests love it and they have a good variety.

8. Re: Girls getaway weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 00:16
Get answers to your questions about St. Augustine