We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will there be beach activities?

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Will there be beach activities?

I am helping a family with 4 children(ages 7-13) with a quick trip to Jacksonville. They are staying near the airport. The father is very ill and there is some concern about his ability to be active for very long periods of time.

So, the free days they are trying to fill are October 8 and 9 which are a Monday and Tuesday. I think that St Augustine is a good choice for them for finding activities the kids will enjoy. I was told Vilano Beach would be good as well, but I am wondering what will be open during the day, during the week, in October. Will there be enough beach activities to occupy the kids for a full day? This will be their first trip to the beach so a short visit at the least is mandatory. Will St Augustine be too much for someone who tires easily? Are there places anyone would recommend where the father can rest while the children are able to be active?

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will there be beach activities?

If your friends are staying near the airport, I suggest you look into Jax-area beaches

.Jax beaches are much closer to where they are staying and quicker/ easier to get the patient back to his hotel if he tires.

If I was a child and was going to the beach for the first time in my life, the beach itself, with sand toys and the waves would be enuf for me. What an adventure to see the ocean.

Now if you said they were interested in history, etc. I would suggest the Old City, but really Jax beaches are quite nice and much closer to where they are staying.

Edited: 28 September 2012, 22:47
Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,598 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will there be beach activities?

In St. Augustine the old city part is a lot of walking on cobblestone streets. Not sure how easy it would be to push a wheelchair but that may be an option for helping him get around. The Fort is also worth a tour but there again a lot of walking. If you decide to go there you may want to do an overnight so you would have a hotel for the father to go to and rest. I agree that the beach itself is all the kids need. Pick up some sand buckets and shovels and a couple of those small cheap float boards and you are good to go. Most of our beaches don't have activites unless you are in a place like Daytona or Miami. At that time of year and a weekday you may not even have lifeguards.

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will there be beach activities?

I understand your question to be about Beach ONLY and that is why I inquired why you didn't look at beaches closer to your airport area hotel.

If you are thinking of doing the historic sites, etc. in St. Augustine, they are abundant - many things to do. If this is your plan, you could rent a wheelchair for the day I am sure.

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
114 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will there be beach activities?

re: St. Augustine's Beaches

No- don't take an ill person to Vilano. This is a steeper beach and I find the current to be stronger. I prefer St. Augustine Beach- and he can drive on the beach to cut down the walk a bit. St. Augustine Beach is wider (more walking) but much calmer and flat/compact/easier to walk on.

IF Dad doesn't want to go to the beach, he could go to the St. Aug Beach Pier and sit under a pavilion looking over the water (wouldn't be able to watch the kids from there, but a short walk to the wall & he could) or he could walk out on the fishing pier.

My Street Cred: I was at Vilano yesterday and St. Aug Beach (South of the Pier) a week ago. ;)

5. Re: Will there be beach activities?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 06:17