We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attitudes in St. Augustine

Charlotte
Level Contributor
19 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Attitudes in St. Augustine

I love St. Augustine. I love so much about this city, but the Chamber of Commerce really has to work with the business owners to make it a more tourist friendly city. We travel a lot in the South and the businesses we frequented while we were there were close to being rude. We were not told one time in any shop thank- you. At all but one restaurant, it was almost like it was a chore to wait on us. We were not asked once at our hotel if we enjoyed our stay.( which we did!!!... I wanted to tell someone, but no one cared.) I guess I expected the hospitality that I am used to in the South, like Savannah, Charleston, Amelia Island and so many other cities that make you feel so welcome. This just did not happen in St. Augustine and I feel this is a big part of your vacation. We had a blast and loved it, but felt like we were not at all appreciated. Someone in this city needs to work on this!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Saint Augustine Beach
Saint Augustine Beach
St. Augustine, FL
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Red Train Tours
City Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Kids Krew Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Explore Tours And Pickups
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Night Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,836 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Attitudes in St. Augustine

I would love to know what hotel and what restaurants you went to that treated you that way. I am a southerner and I apologize for these people, you were spending your hard earned money and there should be no reason for them not to be thankful for that. We were just in St. Augustine on May 11, 12, & 13th and we stayed at St. George Inn, you could not have asked for more helpful and thoughful people who ran the inn. We ate at La Pavillon, Denoel Pastry, AIA Alehouse, Tavern on the Bay, White Lion Pub and O.C. Whites and they all were great and the service was very acceptable. I did run into a run person at the Pizza place on St. George street and also a few of the shop employees were less than friendly. PLease tell us what establishment s were unkind to you, this forum is the first step to solving the problem because noone wants or needs that kind of treatment.

Mentioned in this post
St. George Inn
St. George Inn
967 Reviews
St. Augustine, FL
St. George Street
St. George Street
4,411 Reviews
St. Augustine, FL
Saint Augustine Beach
Saint Augustine Beach
St. Augustine, FL
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
215 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Attitudes in St. Augustine

I appreciate your honesty, Debtroe. It makes me sad to know that anyone was treated without appreciation by the business owners there.

I'm sure the chamber of commerce and city hall would like to hear how the reputation seems to be dropping. Sadly, you're not the only one I've heard this from.

I

St. Augustine FL
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Attitudes in St. Augustine

I too would like to know where you stayed. One thing I do know; many hotel chains here are jam - packed every weekend and probably the workers are sick of tourists. Probably the owners, managers don't even know that guest are being treated that way as they are not around to see it.

That is another reason I pick (owner-run) B & B's. The small B & B's strive to please guests; personalize the service; and it feels like visiting family. I like having my own personal concierge service also who would NEVER send a guest to a restaurant that did not appreciate them. I prefer Mom's and Pop's places to eat and shop in town; but being a local I know these places and avoid the others. Please debtroe, don't hold it against St. Augustine because of a few bad apples. St. Augustine is growing fast and I think probably these type of things happen with growth, unfortunately.

I apologize for those who offended you. Most of Mom and Pop's really really are thankful for you and do appreciate you!

Mentioned in this post
Saint Augustine Beach
Saint Augustine Beach
St. Augustine, FL
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Attitudes in St. Augustine

Sorry about your experience. That's so sad.

This may sound odd but I don't think of Florida as the true "South" at all (except maybe a few parts of the panhandle) since more than half of the people who live there moved from somewhere else or live there part time.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,836 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Attitudes in St. Augustine

Peachy- I am just not sure how to respond to your comment that Florida is not the true south, I agree that there are lots and lots of transplants but I was born and raised in Plant City Florida and believe me, that is about as southern as you can get.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Attitudes in St. Augustine

Rusty, I apologize if I offended you. That was not my intention at all.

Like I said, I know there are some parts that do indeed feel Southern (esp. on the panhandle, to me). But many areas of it, at least in my humble opinion, do not. Orlando, Miami, Sarasota and Tampa definitely don't feel "Southern" to me.

Just one girl's opinion. Again, I'm very sorry.

Also, I've been to St. Augustine twice and both times I really enjoyed it, especially the lighthouse.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Saint Augustine Beach
Saint Augustine Beach
St. Augustine, FL
Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,836 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Attitudes in St. Augustine

No offense taken Peachy, I know excatly what you are saying, it's just that a lot of people dont realize that there are some very rural, southern counties in Florida. You would be surprised at how many born and raised Floridians there really are. I actually work ing an office of about 20 people and all but about 5 are from here. A lot of people forget that before the big tourist boom Florida was primarily agricultural with oranges, strawberries and other corps and they still exist here. Most the people I went to high school took over their family farms and are still working them. Unfortunately with so many people wanting to move to Florida it is making the land prices so high that it is difficult to still do farming, the land is worth more than you can ever make farming. Even Tampa, believe it or not has a lot of undeveloped property and lakes and parks. If you ever get a chance you should take a drive from Tampa to Lakeland, not the interstates but the back US roads like Hwy 92 and you would be amazed at the down home feel you will come away with. Thank you for comments.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Lakeland
Lakeland
Central Florida, FL
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Attitudes in St. Augustine

Rusty, I appreciate your comments. They brought back a forgotten memory of a girl who went with a church group of us on a cruise. On the drive home from Port Canaveral to Atlanta, we stopped at her family's "home place" on the Indian River. It was probably built in the 1920s and had lot of character. There were fruit trees all around, too. I really enjoyed visiting an area off the beaten path. Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
florida & QC
Level Contributor
757 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Attitudes in St. Augustine

Rusty kat

We are planning to spend this weekend at St. George Inn or the Ritz-carlton in Amelia Island. How was the breakfast at St. George Inn. We live only 2 miles to the beach so we would prefer inland. However I always like the service at RC. Any thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
St. George Inn
St. George Inn
967 Reviews
St. Augustine, FL
Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,836 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Attitudes in St. Augustine

The breakfast at St. George is just a continental of sort but it was good, if you are looking for a hearty breakfast this wasnt. But, it was fresh with muffins, bagels, cream cheese, rolls, juice coffee, tea. It was fine with us and you can sit in the little court yard and enjoy the sights. We LOVE St. George Inn.

Mentioned in this post
St. George Inn
St. George Inn
967 Reviews
St. Augustine, FL
St. George Island
St. George Island
Florida Panhandle, FL