We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places similar to St Augustine

Which St. Augustine hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Palm Beach, Florida
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Places similar to St Augustine

The wife and I enjoyed walking around St Augustine's shopping area ( I believe it was St. George Street) with no vehicles on the main shopping street and the little side roads with Inns, pubs and stores scattered throughout ( across from the fort) Can anyone suggest another city or town like this to wander around in the Southeastern US. We enjoyed the small time shops and the people were very friendly. The workers in the pubs and restaurants made you feel at home. Thanks

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,900 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places similar to St Augustine

Perhaps Savannah and Charleston, but they are bigger & more spread out and don't have pedestrian malls (I think).

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
9,149 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places similar to St Augustine

Key West

Ybor City (near Tampa)

Edited: 07 September 2013, 21:38
Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places similar to St Augustine

Savannah's River Street. Also a lot of history throughout the city.

The Old Town section of Key West.

A bit more 'touristy', but still fun is Gatlinburg, TN, and the Smoky Mtn Natl Park. On a smaller scale, Helen, GA.

New Orleans French Quarter.

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,286 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places similar to St Augustine

Fernandina, Florida is a nice, quiet, little, off the main road town compared to Savannah, New Orleans, Gatlinburg, and those other major tourist destinations mentioned. Fernandina is about 40 minutes northeast of Jacksonville. I prefer the shopping in Fernandina to Saint Augustine.

Spirit

st augustine, fl
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places similar to St Augustine

Hmmm, Helen, GA certainly. Old town Key West, but more touristy. If you want something a little more off the beaten path, try Cedar Key, Florida. Shellfish is bigger than tourism there. Asheville, NC is a perennial favorite, Blowing Rock is nice and small as well and is on the Blue Ridge parkway (don't waste your money on the actual Blowing Rock 'attraction' though), but. I haven't been to Mount Dora yet, but they say it's nice, just north of Orlando. Ybor City is dicey, if you go three blocks North at night you can be in a different world, and not in a good way.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
9,149 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places similar to St Augustine

Cedar Key

Blowing Rock

Asheville

Fernandina

Mount Dora

+1

Edited: 08 September 2013, 19:48
Pinellas Park...
Level Contributor
44 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places similar to St Augustine

Although I would not compare it to St Augustine in terms of scale or history, the small city of Dunedin is absolutely charming. You will find a love-of-all-things-local vibe there, with friendly merchants and residents. We easily spend the better part of the day strolling up and down Main St and Broadway, snacking and shopping. After dinner we grab ice cream at Strachan's and head down to the water. Check the city's facebook page for events and festivals - it seems like something is always going on. If you ever make a trip over to the gulf beaches for some reason, give Dunedin a visit.

I hear that Mount Dora is charming, too, and hope to make it there next month for their annual craft festival.

We generally avoid Ybor City, but perhaps it's worth seeing at least once - in the day time.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
9,149 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places similar to St Augustine

I'm on my way to Dunedin. Sounds lovely.

If you go to Mount Dora and stay, try this place. There are more upscale places but this is just a little slice of old Florida.

http://www.lakeside-inn.com/

Good restaurant:

http://thegoblinmarketrestaurant.com/

A ways outside of town but famous all over that part of Florida:

http://www.vicsembers.com/

9. Re: Places similar to St Augustine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 06:25