We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Historic District, quiet accommodations

Which St. Augustine hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey, Usa
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Topic
Historic District, quiet accommodations

My husband and I are coming to St Augustine Mother's day weekend (May 9-12) for 2-3 nights. Would love to stay in historic district with ability to walk to everything. Don't need luxury accommodations but would like something that is clean and preferably quiet at night. We are looking also for something that is lower in price if that is even possible. We were thinking maybe in low to mid 100. I've read that hotels in historic district are old and musty so I guess that would mean B&B which I'm thinking might be more expensive?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,274 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Historic District, quiet accommodations

I like the St. Francis Inn. One of the reasons I like it is its location. It's on the periphery of the Historic District, but still only a couple blocks from the center. Not many pedestrians around there, and not a lot of car traffic. The people and the cars stay near the center. The Historic District is quite concentrated. You can walk anywhere within it. It is quiet during the day, I would expect it to be quiet at night also.

St Francis Inn web site: http://www.stfrancisinn.com/

TripAdvisor User Reviews: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34599-d115376-…

Cozy Inn is highly rated (#1) on tripadvisor's hotel list, and is a good value. It's 1.3 miles to the old gates of the old city, but you could use the trolley for transportation if you take a trolley tour because the ticket is good for several days and there is a trolley stop very near the Cozy Inn.

Cozy Inn's web site: http://thecozyinn.com/

TripAdvisor User Reviews of Cozy Inn: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34599-d584840-…

Enjoy your visit!

Spirit

New Jersey, Usa
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Historic District, quiet accommodations

Thank you Spirit. I looked at St Francis - it looks really nice and the location sounds good as well. I will call them to see if they have availability. It is a little higher than we originally thought but you do get so much more.

I looked at Cozy Inn and it also seems OK, might be a little far walk but Trolley might help. Great suggestions.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
340 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Historic District, quiet accommodations

I agree with Spirit. Stay on the southern end of the main square to avoid traffic and noise. There are numerous B&Bs down there so you can shop around for prices. But remember you are coming into high tourist season, so book early. I would strongly suggest staying in the historic district. You can always drive out to the other areas, but being able to stroll around the old city from your room is a nice option.

As a side note: I never travel without a small can of Lysol in my bag to help with musty odors, and usually a scented candle in a can to freshen the room.

New Jersey, Usa
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Historic District, quiet accommodations

Auntie_C - I will try to figure out what B&B's are on south end. I am hoping to finalize our travel plans this weekend.

I do not like the smell of air fresheners to try to mask the odors but I do LOVE your idea of a scented candle - need to add that to my packing list. I've been known.

I love to travel to new places but it is always so much work to learn and figure out places to see and where to stay especially when you on a budget :(

New Jersey, Usa
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Historic District, quiet accommodations

St Francis is not available for our dates :(. I guess I'll just make a list of all B&B's in the south end and start checking them out one by one!

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
340 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Historic District, quiet accommodations

Keep looking. There are a lot of places in the south end of the town. I feel your need for budget and work that angle whenever we travel. But the town is beautiful and worth the effort.

New Jersey, Usa
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Historic District, quiet accommodations

I only found 8 B&B's in south end. Am I not looking in the right place? I was looking on bedandbreakfast.com since they had a convenient map. We are also willing to raise our budget (a little) in order to find a nice place. Right now we are looking at Penny Farthing and in the North part a studio - not a B&B.

portland
Level Contributor
36 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Historic District, quiet accommodations

We are going to St. Augustine the first weekend of December for my niece's wedding. Have never been here before and am traveling from Oregon. What is the weather like at this time of year? Thinking of staying at the Hilton Bayfront. Any thoughts on great hotels and restaurants? Thinking of coming a few days early to explore. Thanks for your help.

Edited: 12 April 2014, 01:59
Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,274 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Historic District, quiet accommodations

Hello MissMagPIe,

It would be better to start a separate thread with these questions, but for the moment...

Weather in any season here is variable, but in December it is usually sweater and slacks weather (or occasionally colder), not shorts or bathing suit weather.

Go to the top of this screen, and on the bold line click "Hotels" for tripadvisor's User Reviews of lodgings. You will get information from people who have stayed in these places.

When you first get to St. Augustine, take a trolley tour. You can then decide what it is in the Historic District that you want to see/do more of. But there are also things to do outside the Historic District, and as someone from out of state you will probably want to look around more broadly and see what goes on in Northeast Florida.

Spirit

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,742 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Historic District, quiet accommodations

The Old City House is another good option. It's well located in a quiet area and has an excellent restaurant.

http://oldcityhouse.com/