We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days needed and other ??

Alexis Illinois
Level Contributor
19 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
How many days needed and other ??

We are looking to come to St Augustine in either Sept or Oct of this year. We would like to also go to Kennedy Space center while we are there and we are driving from Illinois. I had thought of staying 4 nights which would give us 3 full days of sightseeing, then 2 days in cocoa beach, one for the beach and one for the space center.

Would that be enough time to see the sites of St Augustine? Is it nec to transplant to the Cocoa Beach area or could the space center be done as a day trip from St Augustine?

Also would you be able to swim in both Sept and Oct or is there a dramatic difference in temps?

We are looking at either the Travelodge or Cozy Inn is one more convenient that the other? What would be recommendations for good yet reasonable priced restaurants? Something around the 15.00 entree price average? We really like family restaurants and enjoy most any kind of cuisine, not real big on chains if possible.

And finally we were considering a sail tour while there, does anyone have one that they would recommend.

Thanks in advance!

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,367 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days needed and other ??

Yes, you can do a one day visit to the Space Center and return to St. Augustine that evening. It's just a bit over 100 miles down there.

Yes, swimming is great in September and October.

This is an Ocean Temperature Map for current water temperatures: www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/satl_tmap.html

This is a chart of Monthly Ocean Temperatures: www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/all_meanT.html

There aren't many sail trips. I think you just have to take what you can get if that is what you want to do. A sail is just wonderful on a hot day!

Four days will be great for St. Augustine.

Cozy Inn is rated #1 on tripadvisor's list of hotels. You can catch the trolley close to the hotel for transportation if you have bought a ticket for the tour. (Keep your ticket!)

I donl't know anything about the Travelodge.

Y'all come! It'll be a great trip!

Sprit

Edited: 24 April 2014, 02:45
Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,875 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days needed and other ??

"Yes, you can do a one day visit to the Space Center and return to St. Augustine that evening. It's just a bit over 100 miles down there."

Maybe more like 150 miles each way (according to Google Maps).

So, 150 X 2 = 300 miles = one long day.

St. Augustine, FL
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
698 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days needed and other ??

I would recommend booking a sunset sail on the Schooner Freedom while you are in St. Augustine. All the info is on their website. I've sailed several times and always enjoy it!

Alexis Illinois
Level Contributor
19 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days needed and other ??

Thank you all for the responses, think we will just do the Space center from St Augustine then and not have to switch hotels through our stay. The sunset cruise on Schooner Freedom looks wonderful, will definitely give it a try. And I believe we will go with the Cozy Inn, so thanks all.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days needed and other ??

I hate switching hotels, but I also hate spending half the day in the car. 300 miles is a lot of driving in one day! Also, there is not just the mileage to consider...there could be delays for traffic, road work, accidents, etc.

The Kennedy Space Center is a place you want to arrive at early. I would definitely get a hotel in that area, and then you get to experience another part of the Florida coast as well.

6. Re: How many days needed and other ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2015, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about St. Augustine