We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OntheRoad-Restaurant Info

St. Augustine FL
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
OntheRoad-Restaurant Info

So many people ask this question, so I am basically copying and pasting from a recent post (not all verbiage is mine, but I do agree with what is being said).

I enjoy A1A Aleworks 829-2977 for fresh sea food and wonderful to sit outside overlooking the Bridge of Lions on a busy corner-lots goin' on. Call ahead and get on the priority list as it is a great local hangout too and you will wait an hour to two otherwise. Just call ahead! Not a place to sit and linger - service is fast-you will be in and out. Beer is good.

I also like LaPentola on Charlotte Street - wonderful food - Mom & Pop's - on the higher end for dinner, but lunch is wonderful and less costly.

Son of a Fish on Aviles Street is a great little fish taco place - Mom & Pop's. Other fish dishes too.

Casa Maya - LUNCH ONLY great Mayan Mexican cuisine on Hypolita Street and be sure to go next door to Claude's Chocolates - hand made truffles, made by Claude, a Frenchman - classes chocolates and cold hot chocolate bar.

Irish Pub - McKnights on the square downtown (Cathedral Street)has the best fish & chips in town and great beers!

Greek food and more - next door to McKnights Pub - Athena Restaurant - more diner like, but wonderful food, trust me.

English Pub - Prince of Wales on Spanish Street - great ambiance and true English food and a good pint oer there!

Cuban - must go to Habana Cafe - behind and underneath A1A Ale works on King Street . They will have an orchestra on weekends with wonderful salsa dancing. Make sure you ask for your table in the room with the orchestra. No cut offs or tank tops there. The food is to die for - authentic cuban food.

Columbia is another favorite restaurant for locals too - try the white sangria made with champagne (good champagne) I don't even get a headache from it. Even tho I don't like chains - this a good one.

Hidalgo Cafe (adjacent to Columbia) is a favorite for lunch with pannini's and build your salad and the BEST Italian ice cream (only place in town) with 40% less fat and about 100 flavors to try. Wonderful.

On the way into town gotta do Gypsy Cab - wonderful menu - fresh food - a must - go early on a weekend night as it is popular and later you will wait - worth the wait, however!

Raintree is popular also - great food and dessert bar (on San Marco) and if you stay in town they will send a car for you and take you back to your place - not at the beach, however.

I still like Oasis for lunch especially, just wish you could sit and see the Ocean.

Sunset Grill on A1A Anastasia.

And for just ole barfood - people

love Scarlett O'Haras, corner Hypolita and Charlotte. Good martini there also.

Also, Fiddler's Vilano Beach now has live music on Fri. & Sat. nites and if you stay in town, they will send a van to pick you up and return you to your B&B/hotel, etc. Food & service there iffy too, but it is beautiful sitting looking out on the beach and waves.

Also, Caps on the water (off A1A North) from Vilano Beach - wonderful food (dinner ) and it sits on the river.

Have fun, and do let us know and write reviews on this site under restaurants / hotels when you return, okay? Counting on it !

Florida
Level Contributor
715 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: OntheRoad-Restaurant Info

Another great list!!! Thanks again! I can see that we're going to have to plan another trip to St. Augustine soon. There's too many great places to eat for just one trip. :p We always plan our entire vacation around food. Everything else is secondary. :-) I can't wait to try some of your suggestions I'll make sure to post a review, when we get back.

PS: We don't normally like chain restaurants either. I totally agree with you about Columbia Restaurant though. We have one in Ybor City, & it's great! The atmosphere is even better than the food. I've never tried a white sangria. I'll have to remember to get one in St. Augustine or Ybor City.

St Augustine
Level Contributor
136 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: OntheRoad-Restaurant Info

What a great post--makes me hungry....What a good idea, Mahoney.

I am going a step further and give you some of our favorite dishes and times at some of these great places...Would LOVE to know more of your specifics, too.

Breakfast - at Cafe 11(pancakes) or Mcknights on the weekends(huge omelets and chef specialties-salmon, corn beef hash). Bloody Mary's too.

Lunch - Casa Maya fruit salads and Cafe Alcazar(curried chicken salad) or Columbia's tableside made house salad--just plain without the shrimp or add-ins. The basic salad is verrry good!

Munchies - A1A ale house Beer Cheese Soup or ahi tuna, McKnights Fried Green Tomatoes(ta die for)or beer battered fries and rings, Ploughman's platter(cheese, fruit, etc), Scarlett Oharas for wings. Also the new Tapas Bar.

Drinks - Columbia's Mojitos in a pitcher, McKnights for the Drunken Ponies(and story that goes with it) or Caps for the sunsets.

Salads - Columbia's house salad, Athena's Greek Salad with extra gyro meat, McKnights House salad with grilled chicken or salmon.

Beef - I get a taste for it now and then and do not know a single place in town for a great steak. We tend to opt for Carrabas for consistency(why can't anyone cook a true medium rare right??) Anyone have suggestions? I like Mcknights Briskett but crave a reqal steak now and then....La Pentola has a nice tenderloin sometimes.

Chicken - Has to be Gypsy Chicken!

Shrimp - Hate to say it but the shrimp at Osteens are great even though I detest the no-ambience of this place. I also like McKnights Battered shrimp and boil when they have it. Caps has good steamed shrimp, too. I need to check out son of a fish! I have had great shrimp and oysters at Saltwater Cowboys

but then it was more "iffy" the next time around. Any seafood recommendations??

Pizza - Pizza Time is great for a quick bite. I prefer the new Chianti Room behind Pizzaalleys for really good pizza and nice wine list. Recently though, they were not taking credit cards--not sure what is up with that? Something about their systems being updated??? Anyway, the atmosphere here is nice, too. Apparently they have added an entire new kitchen just for the Chianti room and the ovens there are superior to the ones used in the front Pizzaalleys.

Desserts - Has to be Claude's Chocolates. Irish whiskey cake and cream (huge--to share) at McKnights, Hidlago Cafe for Gelato.

higher end dinner - Opus 39 hands down. La Pentola. Columbia for big crowds.

Easy dinner - Athena for Greek, McKnights, Caps for outdoor eating, Gypsy Cab(if you can wait a bit). I understand there is a new Tapas bar opening up on the island near Gypsy Cab.

St. Augustine FL
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: OntheRoad-Restaurant Info

for STEAK, AJ's beats all hands down. This is my first hand experience - on San Marco and it is another Mom & Pop's place. The best meat in town, and my friends agree!

Florida
Level Contributor
715 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: OntheRoad-Restaurant Info

You guys are making me hungry. :-) Looks like there's lots of great places for lunch. It will be hard to choose just 4. We'll definitely pay Claude a visit. :-D BTW, I have lived my entire life in the south (NC & FL), & have never tried fried green tomatoes. This may be a good opportunity to give them a try.

You mentioned 2 of the places we're considering for dinner. Naturally, I have a few questions. ;-) Raintree's menu looks fantastic! Is the food as good as it sounds? The other one is Opus 39. Everything I've read mentions a 5 course tasting menu. Is that the only option? We enjoy tasting menus & order them often, but like having another option in case we don't want what's on the set menu. If that is the only option, we may go there anyway. Do you have any other suggestions for fine dining, preferably in the Historic District? We love french food. Which french restaurant is best, & is that a good choice? Any other suggestions? We also need to find a nice place for Thanksgiving dinner. I don't even know what's restaurants are open. We'd prefer to eat someplace with an atmosphere that fits the holiday well. To me, that's a homey & warm atmosphere (hope that makes sense). For the other dinners, we like fabulous food & a nice, quiet atmosphere.

Thanks again for all the advice. Your help has been invaluable.

Florida
Level Contributor
715 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: OntheRoad-Restaurant Info

I forgot to mention in my PP that we would prefer to dine at a table service restaurant for Thanksgiving. We're not much for buffets.

St. Augustine FL
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: OntheRoad-Restaurant Info

Opus 39 can't be beat . YOu get 2 choices every course - you are bound to like one of those. Trust me on this.

La Pavillon is the ONLY French restaurant as far as I am concerned.

La Pariesienne is over priced and over rated. After a couple of marginal meals at the most, I won't return. If you want to spend this kind of money go to Opus and make sure you get a good meal.

Yes, the courses are the only options at Opus 39 - you can go by early in the day and talk to Michael (the owner and Chef) and see what he is serving that night and decide whether or not to go there (don't try this on the weekend, however, as they book up ahead with locals.

There is also a tasting room (Tapas) owned and operated by Opus 39 family. It is great also, and you can choose your tapas. On Cuna Street near Agustin Inn.

LaPentola is wonderful, wonderful, too in the heart of historic district.

Not french, but leans more towards mediterranean.

Wait til you arrive, then decide about Thanksgiving Day. Just about everything is open.

Friends who come to town and family and I have eaten at the Columbia the last two years on Thanksgiving. In addition to their wonderful regular menu, they served a great turkey dinner. Very nice.

Florida
Level Contributor
715 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: OntheRoad-Restaurant Info

You've convinced me! :-D We'll give Opus 39 & La Pentola a try. Also, Le Pavillon lists a special Thanksgiving meal on their website. I'm thinking that may be a good option for Turkey Day. That leaves one dinner, & lots of great restaurants. We really need to stay longer. :p

st augustine, fl
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: OntheRoad-Restaurant Info

jacksonville.com/tu-online/…lif_4600829.shtml

new review of The Tasting Room....

St. Augustine FL
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: OntheRoad-Restaurant Info

Thanks Capn for that link for the review for the Tasting Room. I knew it had to be excellent with the McMillan's at the helm. They are a duo that can't be beat, sophisticated and wonderful tastes!!!! Both their restaurants The Tasting Room, and Opus are the best in town for quality and service, I am sure!

Florida
Level Contributor
715 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: OntheRoad-Restaurant Info

Thanks for posting the link to the review. The Tasting Room sounds great! I saw that kids are allowed, I'm not sure how family friendly it would be though. Our DS(14) has been eating at fine dining restaurants from a very young age. He's very comfortable in that environment. The Tasting Room just sounded more like a "date night" type of atmosphere. I would hate for him to feel out of place, or other patrons to feel uncomfortable with a kid in the restaurant. If anyone goes in the near future, please share your experience.

Reading the review brought a question to mind. (I bet you're surprised. :p ) Does anyone know, if they offer wine flights? Also, does Opus 39 offer wine pairings with the tasting menu? If so, how much is it? Thanks again for sharing your knowledge, w/ the clueless. :-D

Get answers to your questions about St. Augustine