We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Visitors

4 posts
Save Topic
First Time Visitors

We're considering a trip to St George Island in April 2018. We have been vacationing in Gulf Shores Alabama for the past 8 years and are interested in trying something new. We will most likely have 6 adults and 3 kids. We know very little about the island so we're trying to get a feel for where we should look at staying. We want to have easy beach access. My husband and father would love to do a chartered fishing trip for a few of the days. If there are areas that we could bike with the kids that would also be ideal. If anyone has recommendations on what area of the island to look at for accomodations or any "must do" items for when we are there we would appreciate the feedback!

22 replies to this topic
atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,702 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time Visitors

You'll love it.start by looking at the FAQs on upper right of full site,not mobile.go to bottom of the mobile site and where it says full,click on it.many ofvyourcquestions can be anseered there.

Bottom line though sgi is totally laid back.only a few restaurants on island but many more in appapachicola,only 15 minute drive.

To each his own,but I always stay on beachfront.its just so much more convenient in many ways.I lovevsurf fishing,so in just a few steps im fishing.

If you go on April rates are lower,water isn't quitevseimmable yet.although kids won't care.but there are few amenities nearby,no golf,there's tennis in plantation,no bowling or movies.repost after youvecread repost any questions. The faqs. Ps,I use guides to fish the bay.I've used the same guy chip Bailey forv20 years.April is good time for speckled trout and redfish.I get seasick so can't go into gulf.but there are guides who do that as well.

Apalachicola...
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time Visitors

The Island as a whole is bikeable with dedicated paths. Some people like the gated Plantation area. Plenty of homes to choose from that are direct ocean front. Enjoy your trip!

4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time Visitors

Thank you!! I feel like a crazy person but I'm not finding the FAQ section. I'm excited to hear about the redfish and speckled trout. We've had a lot of fun fishing redfish in Alabama. We prefer back waters over deep sea.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
6,037 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time Visitors

If you are on a laptop = the top questions about St George Island is on the right side of this page. It doesn't show your phone

Apalachicola...
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time Visitors

Scroll to the bottom and select full site. Or use a lap top in order to see those frequently asked questions. The cut is a very popular place to fish- go with a local guide. Fishing off the old bridge is popular too but be careful and don't go around the rails- a woman fell in recently and was rescued thank goodness. There is a strong current in the bay.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,702 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time Visitors

Here s article on fishing in the bay you might enjoy.if you're interested in surf fishing I've got several articles in FAQs.

floridasforgottencoast.com/things-to-do/…

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,702 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time Visitors

(850) 653-2204. Chip Bailey's phone

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,702 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time Visitors

heres an unsolicted review of a trip with Chip fishing

I had never fished in the Apalachicola Bay nor spent much time around Apalachicola or Saint George Island so was extremely happy to have Chip Bailey take us out on his boat for our day-long excursion. Chip's experience as a marine biologist provides him with in-depth knowledge about Apalachicola Bay that translates into a trip that is both productive from a fishing (catching!) perspective but also educational and interesting.

On our October 11 trip, we caught a wide variety of good fish (redfish, white trout, speckled trout) as well as a few others that we set free. If a particular spot wasn't productive, Chip was always quick (although not impatient) to move to another location. We had a great fishing day and brought back a cooler full of fish, but in addition, Chip took us on a ride up the Apalachicola River. Never having spent any time in this area, it was a real treat to see this piece of unspoiled nature. I cannot say enough good things about the day we spent out on the bay with Chip Bailey and if you're in the area and looking for a great day of fishing with a guide who knows the area and respects the nature found there, you should definitely contact him for a trip.

p.s. I didn't know this before we set out, but Chip will also clean and fillet your catch. A great favor when you're staying in a rental unit with crappy knives.

4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First Time Visitors

Thank you for all the feedback!!! This is wonderful! We love having the recommendation of a local guide. We have fished with the same guide for 7-8 years in Alabama and will actually miss seeing him if we try out St. George this year but we would also love to explore a new place!

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,702 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Time Visitors

Your welcome.sgi is a unique place,give it a try.

Reply to: First Time Visitors
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about St. George Island
Recent Conversations