We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is the shelling (seashells) at St. George Island?

northwesttennessee
Level Contributor
121 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
How is the shelling (seashells) at St. George Island?

My family and our 4 year old are trying to decide where to vacation in May, and I am really looking seriously at St. George Island.

I want a beach with shells. Are most of the Gulf-side beaches on the island good for shelling? Are there any areas I should avoid? Thanks!

Franklin
Level Contributor
16 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How is the shelling (seashells) at St. George Island?

Best I can tell it is the only island on the Gulf Coast of the Florida panhandle to the Alabama coast with actual shells in any noticeable numbers. After travelling to Gulf Shores, Destin, and Panama City for years I had forgotten what it was like to hunt shells on the beach. I collected a decades worth of shells in 10 minutes on my first trip to SGI.

I cannot think of any areas to avoid on SGI. I personally like Plantation with its even extra privacy, but honestly you can get privacy just about on all the beaches. The "downtown" portion would be convenient for eating and shopping for supplies, but the density of homes is just a little to high for my tastes.

I would love to stay bay side some time but my family would kill me. It really is never that far from the beach but something about going on a beach vacation and staying instead on the bay bothers them.

northwesttennessee
Level Contributor
121 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How is the shelling (seashells) at St. George Island?

Well that is great news. We are really wanting to look for shells. Thanks!

Ohio
Level Contributor
729 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How is the shelling (seashells) at St. George Island?

Are you interested in just the Panhandle area or any Gulf beach? Sanibel Island is farther south, of course, but it's considered by many as the best shelling beach in the country. People don't refer to the "Sanibel Stoop" for nothing. :-)

http://www.drbeach.org/GulfCoastFlorida.htm

northwesttennessee
Level Contributor
121 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How is the shelling (seashells) at St. George Island?

I would go to Sanibel but It is much further - I am driving from Tennessee - and it is much hotter and muggier, too. But I'd love to go there someday.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,025 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How is the shelling (seashells) at St. George Island?

the shellers get up early to pick the best ones--nothing nicer than a nice walk at dawn on the beach--if youre lucky youll see sea turtles and dolphins

Monteagle, Tennessee
Level Contributor
123 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How is the shelling (seashells) at St. George Island?

be sure to go to the state park which is at the east end of SGI. We go to SGI every September and last year we picked up about 50 sand dollars and many of them were whole. We always get shells at SGI, we now just leave them but take pictures of the best ones because my house is full of shells that I have found on the island. The best time to shell is after a storm out in the sea. Once we found a huge starfish and it was alive!!! Of course we returned it to the sea. I also found a dead sea horse and took it home and was displaying it on my table and the dog ate the tail. Darn dog!! :)

northwesttennessee
Level Contributor
121 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How is the shelling (seashells) at St. George Island?

Ha! We will be sure and go to the state park. We are looking forward to that.

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
186 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How is the shelling (seashells) at St. George Island?

For the best shells you definitely want to go to the State Park on the far eastern end of the island. Also if you can pull it off take a boat trip over to Little St George Island. There are awesome shells over there! Large fully intact ones.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
13 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How is the shelling (seashells) at St. George Island?

You will have to have a good eye. There are pleanty of "shells" on St. George, but the shore is rough and they are often broken. That being said, I have found sand dollars, "olives," and "turkey wings." The smaller shells make it to shore well and you can find some nice colors. I use the smaller ones for crafts, so I find pleanty. Also a lot of mother of pearl pieces. Good luck!

northwesttennessee
Level Contributor
121 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How is the shelling (seashells) at St. George Island?

Great. As long as there are some shells, we and our little one will be happy.

Get answers to your questions about St. George Island