We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nov. Trip Update

Ellijay, Georgia
Level Contributor
64 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Nov. Trip Update

Back from Nov. trip to SGI. As usual I did not want to leave. The home we rented had a major mishap and we had to be moved to another property. Suncoast took great care to make sure we were accomodated. Thank you for that. The island was almost deserted and we loved it. Weather was so so. Lots of wind but still a wonderful place to be. I smile when someone posts that there is not much to do as I love that part about the island. Read, do puzzles, walk the beach and eat seafood. What more can you ask for. Now planning an April trip by myself. Now that I am retired my goal is to spend a month on the island. Can never get enough. SGI - see you soon.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,383 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nov. Trip Update

Nice report. I enjoy the same things on a beach vacation as you do. My perfect vacation is doing as little as possible! I like your retirement goal.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nov. Trip Update

Thanks for posting. The solitude us very soothing. Has the seaweed in the beach gone away

Ellijay, Georgia
Level Contributor
64 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nov. Trip Update

The seaweed was gone. It was beautiful - just a couple of days with wind. Broke up my drive by stopping in Tallahassee so got the full rental day on my arrival. Can't quite make the long drive now. Glad to have seen a couple of homes being built. However, I do love the low density which make SGI so inviting. Now I am researching for my April trip. Like to try different houses - need small. Looking at one on VRBO in Plantation. Haven't stayed in Plantation as yet but may give it a try. Have been going to SGI for 12 years. Have already booked for Nov. 2013. Can you tell I am a SGI fan.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nov. Trip Update

Send. A pm to pinksoda. He stayed in a smaller home in plantation recently. I've stayed in the dome just outside plantation on the beach. It's 7 hours for me and I'm 67 so I may need to break it up soon too. Theres a neat b&b called susina south of thonasville that you might enjoy

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
281 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nov. Trip Update

Happy Donna:

Where do you recommend staying in Tallahassee? We usually stay at the Country Inn and Suites at I-10 and N Monroe St. Got a better selection?

Edited: 30 December 2012, 15:43
Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
281 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nov. Trip Update

Were all the restaurants open?

Ellijay, Georgia
Level Contributor
64 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nov. Trip Update

We too stay at Country Inn and Suites. Stayed at the Walden Road this last time and have stayed at the Monroe St. On the way home have stayed at the Newnan location and the Columbus location. All are pretty consistent with Country Inns. Have joined their club to get points and discounts. Breaking the trip up instead of arriving exhausted has been wonderful. A little more in cost but well worth it especiall being rested going through the Atlanta traffic.

Ellijay, Georgia
Level Contributor
64 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nov. Trip Update

They were open although we didn't dine out. I like to cook so made some fresh shrimp and fish dishes at home. Both Doug and Dale were there to sell us the great seafood. Small grocery stores were open as well. We stop at Walmart after leaving Tallahassee and do our grocery shopping so we never leave the island once we arrive. If you are heading that way have a wonderful time.

9. Re: Nov. Trip Update

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2014, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about St. George Island