We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking the beach

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
954 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
walking the beach

Are you able to walk from the plantation beach into town?

St.George Island...
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: walking the beach

sunrlb,

It is approximately 2 miles from the business district, (Gulf Beaches), to the Plantation gate and five miles from the gate to the Cut. Depending on where your vacation home is located, it could be a real commitment to get there on foot but perhaps it wouldn't be so bad on a bicycle. There are bike paths within the Plantation but I'm not sure if they reach the Gate. There is a bike path throughout most of the Gulf Beaches section of the Island.

Hope this helps!

Resort Vacation Properties

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
954 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: walking the beach

Is there a street that goes all the way around the island? We would like to bike it.

St.George Island...
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: walking the beach

The bike path travels from just outside the Plantation Gate all the way to the State Park. That's about 4 - 4.5 miles. The path is adjacent to the main road. There are streets closer to the water in the Gulf Beaches section of the Island but not once you reach the section known as the "East End", (the opposite side of the Island from the Plantation.) From that point, it will be necessary to get back on the bike path.

We hope you enjoy your time here!

Cordially,

Resort Vacation Properties

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
285 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: walking the beach

The Resort Realty people are giving you good advice--it is far too far to walk from the Plantation to the central business district. Unless you want to make a day of it. But why waste all that time?

There are bike/walking paths in the Plantation on the side of the main road leading in and out but it is not continuous (so at some points, you'd be sharing the road with cars).

Also there is no perimeter road on which you could circumnavigate the island. The bike path is in the center of the island and it is a great way to bike from the Plantation end all the way into the state park at the other end of the island if you're really into biking. Pack a lunch and drinks--going the entire length from Plantation to State Park and back will take a while. But would be a fun day.

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
954 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: walking the beach

Thank you!

Apalachicola...
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: walking the beach

No, Apalachicola is about six miles, as the crow flies, across Apalachicola Bay. By land it is probably 20 miles over the bridges.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,025 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: walking the beach

good advice plus there is no there,there

Atlanta
Level Contributor
618 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: walking the beach

I was sort of under the impression that those on bikes couldn't enter the Plantation at the security gate (to access the Plantation bike paths) unless they're staying at the Plantation. Is that correct?

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
285 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: walking the beach

Yes, it's true that if you're not staying in the Plantation, the security guards can deny you access.

There is a dodge, though: As I understand it, if you say you're going to fish at the Bob Sike's Cut, they have to let you pass. It's a state law that they can't deny the public access to water front places and the Cut qualifies for that (there are, in fact, parking spaces down by the Cut just for the fishermen).

So, I guess if you strap a rod and reel to your bike and tell them you're going to fish, you're in like flint.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
618 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: walking the beach

When I was at SGI in November, staying at the Plantation, we went to the Cut as we had done the year before. We parked in the spaces you mention, but this time there was no access to the Cut itself right there by the parking. There was a barrier and a sign saying something about no access. The year before we were able to walk next to a private home and down to the cut. In November I assumed the only way to get to the cut now was to take the public boardwalk path to the beach, which is on the left, and then walk to the Cut on the beachfront. I could be wrong about this but it seems we could no longer access the Cut as we did the year before. I guess if I owned that home I won't want people traipsing down there either. I certainly didn't see any way to launch a boat at the Cut. Maybe I'm wrong about this.

Get answers to your questions about St. George Island