We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

terrible experience

St.Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
terrible experience

Just returned home (5 miles away!!) from a great week at a time share in Pass A Grille (Camelot by the Sea---highly recommend it!!)

Family members from all over came to spend the week in the sun and enjoy Thanksgiving together!!!

Most of our time together was FABULOUS......except......one dinner at MOZAIC on Eighth Avenue in Pass A Grille, which was the worst any of us (11 people) had ever exeperienced. The restaurant has had several reincarnations......It was great as the Banana Leaf in January. The service was horrible, and the food was worse. The worst thing of all was the manager who was totally indifferent. The story is long and involved.....one person got part of their meal....then about 30 minutes later another entree appeared, then more in 10-15 minute increments, intil the last two entrees, Paella were served some two hours after being ordered.....they consisted of.....a bowl of rice, three EMPTY tiny clam shells, three tiny overcooked mussels in shellds three hard, way overcooked shrimp, and a hand full of little chunks of chicken breast. WOW!!!!!! they took 25% off our total bill, which they thought was a very generous offer. The waiter, who disappeared for about 45 minutes, had the nerve to add a $41.00 tip to the bill............we did not pay that!!! Not once did anyone apologize, offer a drink, or even seem to be sorry for this mess. Once a new waitress(in Training) said she thought there was a "problem in the kitchen".....bet she caught Hel! for that!!!

Anyway, this is not just ranting....it is just a warning....don't go to MOZAIC, there are plenty of other great restaurants in the area!!!!!

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: terrible experience

Go back in a couple of weeks for dinner, wearing your TA tee shirt, carrying your TA "ruc de sac" and a clipboard with sheets of paper printed with the TA logo on it.

St.Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: terrible experience

LOL!!! Great idea!!!!!! I am sure they had no idea I am a "local" and friends with many in their little town!!!! They are going to need us in off seasons!!

Liverpool, England
Destination Expert
for St. Pete Beach
Level Contributor
2,155 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: terrible experience

Thanks for your comments mir....I wonder if they were having a bad day, another poster yesterday described the Mozaic as "fresh & good"!

I went when it was the Banana Leaf and I had an awful time! The food was very salty and the service lousy! Yet you seemed to like it, maybe it was an "off" day when I went.

What are your other favourite in PAG/SPB?

St.Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: terrible experience

I think it is possible that they were having a bad night.....but it would have been nice of them to say so and tell us they could not accommodate our party of 11. It seemed to throw them right over the edge....even though when we called to make reservations they sounded thrilled to have such a group!! ????? All in the party are people who eat out alot and travel......not expecting a quick, cheap meal.....just a good one with good service and the opportunity to dine together........we got none of the above!!

I don't usually recommend the Hurricane.......not as good as it used to be....BUT we went there for Thanksgiving dinner.....and it was wonderful.....again, a large party and the food and service were great!!!

I also always recommend the Seaside Grille....great food, nice beachy atmosphere....my daughter is in college now but worked there all thru High School!!!

I read you recos.....and they were great!!! Also....lots of interesting places in downtown St Petersburg.

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: terrible experience

We went to the Hurricane once ages ago, (10 yrs or so when we first moved to Tampa) as so many people spoke highly of it, but the food was so gawd awful we never went back again until this October. Our DD and SIL have moved to St Pete, had heard about it and wanted to try it...so that was visit #2 and this time the food was even worse than the first visit. She's not terribly picky but could not eat her veggie grill sandwich. Waitstaff are nice, but the food is just terrible! :< Although this isn't something you'll do often because of the expense, the best food I've had in SPB is at the Maritana Grill in the Don.

Liverpool, England
Destination Expert
for St. Pete Beach
Level Contributor
2,155 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: terrible experience

Thanks mir... and OO, next time you go, have a look at my Inside Page for other dining options.

I love SPB and I am always spoilt for choice...having said that, places have good days and not so good..in SPB there is so much choice that residents and visitors are lucky!

Have a good night!

Minnetonka
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: terrible experience

Did you stay at the Camelot By the Sea, now in November of 2007? Has it reopened under new management? We stayed there many times between 1995 and 2004, but found out in November of 2006, that it had been sold for back taxes, and was closed. We would like to stay there again. Any information that you give us would be appreciated. Please respond to donlil@usfamily.net. Thank you very much! Hideaway Trail39

maine
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: terrible experience

Re Camelot-by-the-sea on St Pete Beach. We own 2 weeks at this timeshare and YES it is now open and has been under new management for several months. It is a wonderful place for a relaxing vacation with the gorgeous beach right there. We went in February and found the pool area once again up-to-date and clean. The units have been cleaned thoroughly and will soon have new king size beds (Ican't wait!). We have always found the people (owners and renters both) to be very pleasant and friendly. PLEASE DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND COME BACK FOR ANOTHER VISIT! You will not be disappointed.

Midwest
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: terrible experience

koolma33 -- How do I find info. on renting at Camelot by the Sea? I'm already booked in St. Pete Beach for this year (May), but would like info. for other vacations. Their website looks to be geared toward the owners, not visitors.

St.Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: terrible experience

Sorry my terrible experience at Mozaic morphed into a conversation about Camelot by the sea...... It is a great place to stay and as the previous poster said, has been nicely refurbished and continues to be. Go to www.libertemanagement.com for info

Get answers to your questions about St. Pete Beach
Recent Conversations