We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1985 a bar called Silus Dens on Golf Blvd

Which St. Pete Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,407 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
1985 a bar called Silus Dens on Golf Blvd

Not sure of the spelling but this was great restaurant for several years with our family. Is it still around and if not is it under new management??

would like to go down memory lane

Gaylord, Michigan
Level Contributor
983 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1985 a bar called Silus Dens on Golf Blvd

Silas Dent's Steakhouse is still there. Not sure how much it's changed since you were there but it gets very mixed reviews.

SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1985 a bar called Silus Dens on Golf Blvd

Yes, Silas Dent's is still there, and it hasn't changed much. It's not a real popular place with the locals, but since it holds some sentimental meaning to you, you should certainly pay them a visit :-)

While there, be sure to read the (completely true!) story of Silas Dent, a hermit and local character, after whom the restaurant was named.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,407 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1985 a bar called Silus Dens on Golf Blvd

Great thanks! Maybe with mixed reviews we will just stop by for a bevvie instead :O)

Is St Petes a high priced tourisy area for meals out or is there many happy hour locations or great food reasonable prices?

Looking at fun atmospheres as well such as patios etc.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
4,622 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1985 a bar called Silus Dens on Golf Blvd

St. Pete Beach is pretty middle of the road, price wise. Alot of variety in dining and not overly priced. Plenty of variety. Try Skidders Restaurant (around the 5800 block.). Not fancy. Good home cooked food, reasonable prices, great hospitality. Also try Beverley's for breakfast (Corey Ave.) or the Frog Pond, just accross the street. Publix supermarket in the plaza (4600 block) makes a great submarine sandwich, better and cheaper than Subway. Enjoy your trip.

SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1985 a bar called Silus Dens on Golf Blvd

There are many Happy Hours, Early Bird menus, and various specials.

Pick up a free copy of Beach Life newspaper upon arrival (It is in hotel lobbies, store counters, sidewalk stands, etc.). It will give you the most current info regarding specials, as well as coupons, and info about entertainment and special events.

Lots of options for fun atmospheres and patios!

Sloppy Pelican - waterfront decks overlooking Blind Pass

Sea Hag - waterfront decks overlooking marina

Philthy Phil's - rooftop bar/restaurant overlooking Blind Pass

Jimmy B's - beachfront deck

PCI Beach Bar - beachfront patio

The Wharf - waterfront decks on Boca Ciega Bay

...and many, many more!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,407 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1985 a bar called Silus Dens on Golf Blvd

WOW great list .. thanks so much!

We will eat at the hotel as we have a kitchenette and some lunches we wil pick up groceries at the supermarket..

Will look into the above suggestins for a few lunches and dinners..

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,407 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1985 a bar called Silus Dens on Golf Blvd

another question down memory lane..

The long bridge lost with name that is approx 3 miles long when you got off there was a good restaurant that served seafood i think it was a restaurant in a boat if memory serves correctly.. Had the best blue cheese dressing with huge chunks. WE had frog legs here and this was around 1983 . Is it still around this place ??

SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 1985 a bar called Silus Dens on Golf Blvd

Palmtree, was this restaurant in St Pete Beach, or in another community nearby?

The only restaurant in a boat that I can think of was in Seminole, just over the Tom Stuart (Madeira Beach) Causeway. It had several different names over the years. I think, at that time, that it was the Brown Derby.

And here in SPB, just across the Corey Causeway, was Leverock's. It was on the waterfront, overlooking docks, the Bay, and the bridge. It wasn't in a boat, but had a rather boat-like shape, and they did serve frog's legs.

Do either of these sound familiar?

I'm afraid you may have me stumped :-(

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,407 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1985 a bar called Silus Dens on Golf Blvd

Did one have a salad bar in the middle of the restaurant??? I remember this as I was putting parmessan cheese on my salad to find out later i loaded it with salt.. YUCK....

when you got off this long bridge it was right there at the time i dont remember any other restaurants in the area. It sounds like the Leverocks as they did serve frog legs. I do remember my parents getting lost and going back another 3 miles on that bridge then going back again lol. Are frog legs something they serve still in Florida??

In St petes they would have at christams time a festival with lights and oversized christmas cards all decorated..

Edited: 07 July 2010, 13:08
SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 1985 a bar called Silus Dens on Golf Blvd

LOL at your salt on the salad. I once loaded up a biscuit with oatmeal at a breakfast buffet, thinking it was sausage gravy! They need to label this stuff!! :-)

Both restaurants had salad bars, IIRC. I just am not sure if either is the right place, because the Causeway beside the old Leverock's is only about a mile long, including the smaller bridge and the drawbridge. The Madeira Causeway is even shorter.

I will keep thinking....

The only nearby restaurant that I can think of that serves frogs legs now is La Cote Basque, a classic French resto in next-door Gulfport. They aren't a local specialty or anything.

Due to budget constraints, the city of SPB has cut back on the Christmas decorations. There are still some, but not like it used to be. Hopefully, when the economy rebounds, we will get all of our Christmas lights back.

We do still have the Holiday Boat Parade :-)