We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Pete Beach to Crystal River

Which St. Pete Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
Level Contributor
399 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
St. Pete Beach to Crystal River

We're going to be doing one of the manatee tours in Crystal River. I've read of two possible routes to get there, one that goes to the 275 over to the 589 north, and then one that just goes all the way up 19.

Can someone advice me on which route would be faster, and approximately how long it takes? Google maps says it's just under 2 hours, but since we have a tour booked we want to make sure we're not late!

Thanks!

Indian Shores...
Level Contributor
700 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Pete Beach to Crystal River

I would rather put bamboo shoots under my own fingernails than do anything that involves driving on U.S. 19. Go with I-75. 2 hours is about right, but you can always allow yourself extra time in case there's an accident on the interstate. Crystal River is a quaint place to drive around if you get there too early.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Pete Beach to Crystal River

I would also go 275 to 589.

275 North to the exit for Tampa International airport. After exiting 275, at the airport interchange, get on 589, AKA Veteran's Expressway. I'm not sure on the exact amount, but to go all the way on the Veteran's, you will need a few bucks for tolls, $3-$4, somewhere around that amount.

589 goes for quite a ways, it changes names from Veteran's Expressway, to the Suncoast Parkway I think. Follow it to the end, then it's just a short drive West to US19, then North on 19 to Homosassa, and Crystal River.

Depending on how long it takes you to get from where you are staying on the beach, to 275 N, you should be there within 2 hours, I would allow a little extra in case of some unforseen tie up, since you have a scheduled tour.

SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Pete Beach to Crystal River

LOL at sweetpolly's bamboo shoots, but I must say I totally agree! :-)

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Pete Beach to Crystal River

Here is a link to a map of the Veterans Expressway/Suncoast Parkway with tolls noted.

floridasturnpike.com/maps/UpdatedMaps2010/su…

5. Re: St. Pete Beach to Crystal River

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2011, 05:16