We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What can I expect please?

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
What can I expect please?

We are looking at the lovely St.Petersburg area for our January vacation. Maybe we can stretch it to early February...what can we expect for weather.

I realize it is not likely to be 90 degree weather...but we are Canadian so in Jan / Feb it will be 29degrees or worse...so a pool we can use (heated) some flip flops and lots to do for a family of 2 children and 4 adults is what we are looking for...Kids are aged 3 and 8.

How cold will it be? Is there a good option for hotel with heated pool? Have there been several winters that have been warmer rather than colder? Should we consider somewhere other than St. Pete for our beach getaway?

Thanks so much in advance!

St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
391 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What can I expect please?

I lived at Pape Danforth and worked in Queens Park until Harris paid the civil servants a (couple of years salary) who had skills to find work elsewhere. Many of us did, right here in Pinellas County.

Now some of us live on St. Pete Beach. January can be quite chilly. Winter in Florida (here) starts towards the end of November and lasts until March. We do not live in a tropical environment. It is sub-tropical.

Most resorts will have heated pools and Canadians will be common occupants.

Those of us who have some sort of furnace will have it on 60% of the month. There is no way a local would consider going in the pool or Gulf until mid March at the earliest. The last winter was very warm, the one before was extremely cold, (mid 30's low for three weeks with highs into the 40's and 50's. Very windy (from the North)..sunny by cold. The kids that go to school on our beach have on their long pants and sweaters. This could hardly be called summer weather even in Toronto. The closest that I could compare it to might be the third week of October in Toronto.

Thats not to say that we won't have nice days in the 70's, but they are fleeting in January. If you found a place further south ie: Naples, the temps can be much more mild, but still will have some chilly windy days and nights. The cost of accomodation in the Naples area will reflect that.

A sure bet would be the Florida Keys, it has much less a winter. It is also costy as such in January.

Also for what its worth, You can watch a Leaf game in Tampa for as cheap at $25 bucks.

Edited: 01 July 2012, 07:56
St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
391 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What can I expect please?

Oh ya, before I forget..Happy Canada Day!

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What can I expect please?

THANK you so much for the insightful information and the best wishes on our Happy Canada Day - it was a great and classic summer Canadian Day! Hopefully you get back for some visits...but sounds like you have cornered a lovely little place in the sun!

Well that is great information that I believe somewhere in the recesses of my mind I was aware of but was avoiding...I did notice the prices were quite a bit higher in both Naples and the Florida Keys. We are trying to make much more critical and financially wise (but still decadent as we are travelling) choices...I wonder if St. Pete's is not going to be it this year...

Last May we were in Orlando and we thought we might die from the heat so I had hoped that somehow that would translate into warm January (shaking my own head with the notion)!

The research continues - Thanks again and Enjoy a wonderful and yet even keeled temperature, July 4th!!!

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What can I expect please?

Naples and Key West are in general, a couple of the most expensive places to visit in FL.

The

St. Pete/St. Pete Beach/Clearwater Beach area, while it is premium season, will in general be a lot le$$ to stay than Naples and KW.

5. Re: What can I expect please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 22:16