We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to St Pete from I95

Which St. Pete Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Delaware
Level Contributor
35 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to St Pete from I95

Hello all,

We are driving to St Pete from Delaware next Friday, cant wait to see a St Pete sunset! We are taking I95 to Jacksonville. In the past we have taken I10 to route 301 but all the stop lights and speed traps make it slow going. Google maps shows a 15 minute time increase by taking I10 to I75 south. Has anyone taken I10 to I75 south? if so, did it save time?

2nd question- Where is the best grouper sandwich St Pete/Pass a Grille?

Thanks

Altoona...
Level Contributor
89 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to St Pete from I95

I come down every year from Pa. We take 95 to 4 and over . I feel it is the best and fastest.

SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to St Pete from I95

Can't help with the first question, but best grouper sandwiches, IMO, are at Dockside Dave's and the Wharf. :-)

And if you make it up to John's Pass, do stop by Waltz' Fish Shak! Grouper sandwich or salad are excellent, and their grouper cakes are amazing.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to St Pete from I95

I always use 301. I don't do this route often, and have not timed it against 95 to 4, or 10 to 75. But, I had a friend who drove a truck FL-GA, and they always used the 301 route. They thought it to be faster, even with the speed traps, and the slower to get going from the stop lights semi trucks.

I can't really see it being more than 30 mins faster/slower either way, so I'd look at things like if you just feel like getting off the interstate - If you take 4, will you be hitting the Disney area at a busy time, Orlando AM or PM rush hour? 10 to 75 may be the most in miles, but normally will be less dense traffic compared to I-4.

Delaware
Level Contributor
35 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to St Pete from I95

Thanks for all the info, we have taken I4 to I95 on the home last year ans got stuck in Orlando traffic for 45 minutes around lunchtime. Im thinking 301 or 75.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
4,639 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to St Pete from I95

For me, it's not so much the distance or the time, is the traffic risk and driving stress. I always take I10 to I75 and avoid the I4 traffic in Sandford/ Orlando, and the driving stress of 301. I4 or 301 might be shorter in distance, but you really don't save any time, and you are more tired after the trip. Much easier to just keep the car on a steady cruise control 72 mph and relax. It's a long drive.

Grouper sandwich.....maybe Sea Critters in Pass-a-Grille. At least you can sit on the dock.

SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to St Pete from I95

Oooh, yeah...the almond-crusted grouper at Sea Critters is very good, too!

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,735 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to St Pete from I95

There is a toll road from Sanford to Disney to avoid I-4 if you make a bad choice in your timing. To me, it seems like going to Lake City would be way out of the way, but each to their own.

Edited: 05 July 2013, 17:46
Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,364 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to St Pete from I95

Google Maps has 3 options with remarkably similar travel times. With 301, you could stop at the Florida Museum of Natural History in Gainesville. It's where the Ice Age animals live.

A really odd option uses State Road 17 and other roads to cross the state from Bunnell (on US 1 south of St. Augustine) to Eustis. The timing doesn't look bad, but Florida 2-lane roads tend to bring out bad behavior in Florida drivers.

The high-toll easterly bypass around Orlando is worth the cost. It's a very nice road, where I-4 has some serious problems in downtown Orlando dating back to when it was first built, for a tiny fraction of today's traffic.

Altoona...
Level Contributor
89 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel to St Pete from I95

I don't know the toll east passway . Could you tell us more ?

Edited: 06 July 2013, 13:53
Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,364 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel to St Pete from I95

Here's the most useful page at the Expressway Authority's website. State Road 417 from Sanford to south of Disney is an up-to-date design and usually a pleasure to drive. The toll system has most users (with e-pass sensors) going through the checkpoints at normal highway speed. There's on and off ramps for those who pay cash. Work is underway to make the Florida e-pass compatible with system(s) used in the Northeast, but I don't think that's been finalized yet.