We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing advice

Which St. Pete Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
90 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing advice

Posting this on multiple forums. We are coming down to FL in mid-April. Staying in a condo on Treasure Island Beach. I want to do a little fishing, but don't want to pay a ton, because it will be just me and won't be keeping anything. Won't have my own equipment. From what I see, I was looking at possibly Pier 60, Long Pier and Skyway Pier. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
4,592 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing advice

See my post in the Clearwater forum. You can also go down to the Merry Pier (they have a website) in nearby Pass-a-Grille. (just south of St. Pete Beach). They will rent you the equipment, etc. and you can fish off the dock. They also have a 1/2 day outing on their boat, for around the $50 mark.

You can take your catch to the nearby Sea Critters restaurant and they will cook it for you with side dishes for around the same $8.00.

Edited: 11 January 2014, 19:35
St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
325 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing advice

Have you thought about a charter fishing trip? There are some expensive ones, but others like the Miss Pass-a-Grille and Hubbards Marina are pretty affordable.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
90 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing advice

I had thought about it. But what I'm concerned about is the quality of fishing on these party boats. I hear it's 50 people standing shoulder to shoulder around the boat, using heavy equipment. Not much of a challenge if the fish cooperate. Too easy to get tangled with inexperienced fisherpeople. I do a fair amount of fishing and I am just hesitant. In looking at the reviews of Miss-Pass-a-Grille, they look pretty positive, so maybe I will look them up.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing advice

Your assesment of the party boats is pretty spot on. But... If you know that going in, and accept that it may be that way, and you are saving big bucks opposed to a charter, to save, or spend elsewhere, it can still be a great time out on the water fishing. Good luck which ever way you go.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
90 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing advice

What do you know about pier fishing? Better chance of catching fish out there?

SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishing advice

The Miss Pass-a-Grille is a fun trip, but you can catch plenty of fish at Merry Pier, or along the sea wall!

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fishing advice

I haven't been fishing off Pier 60 since... well, a loooooong time, so I really don't know how folks do there. There is always people fishing off Pier 60, and the Skyway Piers so they must be getting something. (I rarely go by the Redington Long Pier). Skyway piers - there is a north one and a south one - will put you in deeper water, and they are longer so you may be able to have more space around you. Just my thoughts, as like I said, haven't been on any pier in a long time.

St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
325 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fishing advice

Keep in mind if you fish from shore you'll need to purchase a license.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
4,592 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fishing advice

Keep in mind that the boat charters have electronid fish finders. They take you to where the fish are. If you fish from the pier, you are relying on whatever fish may be there that day.

Just a personal note, I was on the Miss Pass-a-Grille a few weeks ago, and while I did have fun and had a good catch, I did feel a bit cramped on their boat. The Hubbard's boats are somewhat larger and more spacious, and they offer more options. I will try them next time.

Ontario
Level Contributor
185 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fishing advice

I have done the Miss Pass-A-Grille (last year) and as far as party boats, they were good. Put us on fish. Boat was busy, but not overcrowded. Have also done the one in Clearwater (Queenfleet). Much bigger boat, but lot's more people too. Hubbards I have not done, but was having lunch one day while they were launching. And again, bigger boat, but busy. If I had to pick any again, it would be the Miss Pass-A-Grille.

The Piers are also good since you don't need a license and can rent equipment. One I have yet to try, but will likely this year are the two (North and South) at the Sunshine Skyway bridge. I like that you park your vehicle right where you fish and it can be less $$. They charge $4 per car and $4 a head. Kids under a certain age are free.

I am also tempted to try the Long Pier at Redington, but have read about a gang of goons called the "West Coast" fishing club that have apparently taken over the prime spot at the end of the pier and intimidate whoever else tries to fish there. Maybe this has changed, I can't say from personal experience, maybe somebody else that has been there recently can comment.