We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is St Pete for me and my family?

Harrison, New Jersey
Level Contributor
175 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Is St Pete for me and my family?

Hi all...I need massive help..haha.

We finally get to take a summer family vacation(sports schedules were in charge past summers) We are so excited but of course since we are late to the party..not much is left.

We are a family of five with kids ages 16, 12 and 9. We are from South Jersey so know about crowded rowdy beaches. Its something we avoid . We have in the past gone to OBX which I find quite relaxing. We rent a home with a pool. Then we can do what we want. The beaches aren't horribly crowded there ..so it's nice. But we wanted to do something different.

We are all different. Some like amusement parks and some likes the beach. We were in Disney in November and everyone loved it but it's just too hot to do Disney.. We are looking at the last week of July into first week of August.

We decided to mush everything together . We are going some place new by coming to the Tampa area. There is a Busch gardens that we want to visit and an aquarium. IT seems there is a lot of stuff to do for different likes.

We decided ..why don't we rent a place on the beach in FL and that way we also can chill after going to some amusements.

We were looking on Anna Maria island which seemed our speed. But there just isn't much left to rent. We are not into big condo buildings and really don't want to be near them on the beach. We like quiet , chill , uncrowded family beaches. I am hoping to rent a house but so far that isn't a go unless I am just not looking in the right area?

I would do a condo if it was one that wasn't surrounded by other condos..does that make sense? do you think St. Pete or Clearwater is a good match?

Mentioned in this post
Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is St Pete for me and my family?

I think SPB is more of a match than Clw Beach. CB is a more compact area, so the beach can get crowded at times. SPB is a much longer shoreline, so it is usually much less densely crowded. Folks will tend to just hang out on the beach behind their hotel/building, so are not all going to one smaller beach like at CB.

Between CB and SPB is several smaller beach communities. The beaches there will be even less crowded, but it tends to be mostly tall condo buildings one after another.

CB is a very nice beach, very active, with plenty to do for everyone. But sounds like it may be a bit more busy, and/or crowded than you are looking for.

Harrison, New Jersey
Level Contributor
175 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is St Pete for me and my family?

I am ok with trying to find a "resort" type condo place..as long as the beach is not towel to towel I guess. Have you been to obx, jersey shores or delaware beaches? Can they be compared to those types of crowds?

Sacramento area...
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is St Pete for me and my family?

We are staying in St. Pete Beach area right now, at the Sunrise Condos. I'm really happy with our choice, rented for seven nights for just under $1000 including tax and a $60 cleaning fee. Across the street is the beach, as well as the Tradewinds Resort. While staying at the Sunrise condos, you get to use the amenities at the Tradewind. It's included in the price of the condo. It includes restaurants, lots of pools, a cabana on the beach with a cover, paddle boats that go around the resort's little river (with swans), mini golf, volleyball, and a kids adventure area with activities. You can pay $16/hr for a bouncey playground located on the ocean, or $4/ ride for a HUGE slide right on the beach. The condos themselves have a great pool, backs up to a waterway with a dock (look for manatees/dolphins) has 2 large gas bbq's, shuffleboard, and tennis courts. I hate noisy lodging and this one is very nice. Grocery store a few blocks away, beach shop next door. It's a nice family place without the cost of the big resort! Also, went to Busch Gardens today for the first time and loved it! May be our favorite amusement park, even liked it more than Disney or Universal. Do the safari adventure where you get to feed/pet the giraffes...it was the highlight of our trip. Hope that helps.

Mentioned in this post
Sunrise
Sunrise
Broward County, FL
Busch Gardens
Busch Gardens
14,732 Reviews
Tampa, FL
Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,444 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is St Pete for me and my family?

If you're looking for a quieter spot, definitely St Pete Beach.

Mentioned in this post
SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is St Pete for me and my family?

I think SPB could work for you. While it is busy, it is not crowded (if that makes sense). The beach is over 4 miles long, so there is plenty of room to spread out. You won't be sitting towel-to-towel.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
466 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is St Pete for me and my family?

What kind of budget do you have in mind? I may be able to suggest a few vacation rentals if you'd like.

Altoona...
Level Contributor
96 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is St Pete for me and my family?

Check out the "Passe- a- Grille" section of St Pete Beach. Just what you are looking for.

Mentioned in this post
New Jersey
Level Contributor
399 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is St Pete for me and my family?

We are also from NJ and and never go to the Jersey beaches but every July we go to Maderia Beach we stay at the Surf Song which is right on the beach which is never crowded, reasonable rates, they have units from motel room to 2 bedroom & 2 baths, right across the street is John's Pass Village which has many water sports, restaurants, bars and shops .hope you have a great vacation

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
466 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is St Pete for me and my family?

For condos and homes things really are booked up but here are a few that seem to have availability.

Homeaway 253148vb

Camelot by the Sea (Liberty Management-low rise condo unit

VRBO 488163-your family would enjoy Paradise Grill across the street-look at reviews

All of these seem to be right across the street from beach (which is beachfront there) and there seems to be a lot of things within walking distance. The area would be safe for kids too.

Mentioned in this post
Camelot by the Sea
Camelot by the Sea
63 Reviews
St. Pete Beach, FL
Paradise Grill
Paradise Grill
123 Reviews
Nokomis, FL
Brantford, Ontario
Level Contributor
25 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is St Pete for me and my family?

Absolutely..a great time to enjoy the beaches as it really is quiet in Florida St Pete beach area this time of the year. I would recommend Sunset beach for a cottage , easy drive to Busch gardens and beach is a block away from anything you'll rent there. Johns Pass is a 10 minute drive, Sloppy Joe's, Clearwater marina is a good place for the kids and we are going to take my grandson to the new SimCentre in Clearwater for his birthday. You can go for a 1/2 day fishing trip out of pass A Grill, the boat is the Miss Pass A Grill, which also has a beautiful beach and big sea shells.. good food at Caddy's, Sea hag and charter the Dolphin racer, $20.00 a person for 2.5 hours out on the water where the kids are sure to see Dolphins. The boat is docked in South Pasadena. Everything is just 10 minutes from Sunset beach. If you prefer a condo there are some very nice ones at Lands End in sunset Beach. Enjoy!! The best Mexican food at Agave at St. Pete beach. Great ice cream and desserts at Larrys also at St. Pete beach..all close by.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Sunset Beach
Sunset Beach
494 Reviews
Tarpon Springs, FL
Sloppy Joe's
Sloppy Joe's
6,322 Reviews
Key West, FL