We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Let's talk about all the new restaurants!

SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Topic
Let's talk about all the new restaurants!

With so many new places opening, I thought it would be nice if we had a place to share info, like what's new, what's opening, and how the food/experience is. If we locals and all of our visitors share their experiences, we should be able to collect a lot of information.

I'll start a list, with hopes that others will chime in:

Tequila Mockingbird - new Mexican place in Pass-a-Grille (formerly Black Palm)

Castile - at the new Hotel Zamora, specializing in Spanish cuisine

Café Soleil - French bakery at Dolphin Village

Shells - a return of the chain that used to be in the space occupied by Postcard Inn - opening first week of August

Boulevard Burgers - "opening soon" (formerly Bella Havana)

RumFish Grill - at the Guy Harvey Outpost - beautiful aquariums, very good food

Shark Tales - currently operating as the Sloppy Pelican, but the new owner is renovating, changing the menu and will re-open with new name/business model at the end of August

Verducci's Italian Market - not sure when this is scheduled to open

Dunkin Donuts/Baskin Robbins - the site, at the former Paddy O'Sullivan's (or, at the gas station, as us old timers think of it, lol) has construction fencing up, but I haven't seen work going on

Casa Del Pane - gorgeous new incarnation of the tiny Italian bakery that was beside Gigi's

Those are all that I can think of right now. If anyone knows of others, or has eaten at any of these new places, please share! :-)

Portadown, United...
Level Contributor
922 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Let's talk about all the new restaurants!

Possibly not new (but definitely new to me) is Shapardo`s Italian Restaurant.

It also is on the site of an old gas station right in front of the Drunken Clam bar.

We visited 3 times during our recent vacation, and while the pizza is probably not "De Losa" standard the food was excellent.

The soup was delicious and the pasta dishes were very flavorsome and piping hot.

I particularly like the fact that half portions could be ordered.

We will most definitely be visiting again.

St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Let's talk about all the new restaurants!

We ate at Tequila Mockingbird during their soft opening. The food items were very limited, they were fresh, good taste, small portions. It was very loud and they seemed to have trouble with their airconditioning. The lighting was very bright and hot. We will go back in a few weeks and try again.

Shark Tales. This could be a gold mine once it is cleaned up. We like Sloppy's burgers and servers are always friendly.

Castile is lovely, it's nice to "dress up" for dinner. A nice option for upscale dining. Lovely location, free valet parking for the restaurant. The seafood is delicious.

Cafe Soleil- pastries are tasty and they have nice bistro tables out front.

Haven't yet tried Rum Fish or Cas del Pane in its' new location.

Crab Daddy's- love their mahi sandwiches and their beef nachos. Servers are very pleasant. Great place to relax upstairs.

Liverpool, England
Destination Expert
for St. Pete Beach
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Let's talk about all the new restaurants!

I hope Shells is as good as it used to be, I have had some great dinners there while staying at the now long gone Travelodge!

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,369 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Let's talk about all the new restaurants!

Mmmmm, Café Soleil sounds like a lovely place to have a café au lait and pastrie before picking up some groceries at Publix.

Great idea Maya about this subject. It still gobbles my mind that restaurant come and go so much on a beach strip.

SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Let's talk about all the new restaurants!

I know, porelly! You almost need a score card to keep up!

Good to know about Shapardo's. (Still in their first year of operation, I believe) Sounds like a nice option for Italian.

BeachDay, how "dress up" is Castile? Will DH be okay in nice shorts and a collar, or does he need long pants? They got an excellent review in the Tampa Bay Times yesterday, so I'm anxious to give it a try.

Not in SPB, but nearby in Treasure Island, we've enjoyed great Thursday Happy Hour specials at Middle Grounds recently. Three dollars off all appetizers, and discounts on beer and wine. It is also $5 Van Gogh vodka day, meaning you can enjoy any VG martini for $5. We order three apps to share and it is more than enough food. Nice to relax in a stylish, upscale place at beach bar prices!

St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Let's talk about all the new restaurants!

Hi Maya. My husband wore black dress shorts and a dressier knit shirt with a collar to the Castile. I wore a LBD and fancy sandals, but some diners wore long slacks for men and some women wore heels and others wore bright sundresses.

We've never tried Middle Grounds, will put that on our list!

SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Let's talk about all the new restaurants!

Thanks for the info, BD. He will wear dress shorts and nice shirt without fussing! (Although he will still groan about having to leave his baseball cap home. lol)

Glamourpuss - So nice to "see" you again! Are you coming back over soon?

Liverpool, England
Destination Expert
for St. Pete Beach
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Let's talk about all the new restaurants!

September I hope.....fingers crossed!!!!

SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Let's talk about all the new restaurants!

Cool! Please keep me informed!

Liverpool, England
Destination Expert
for St. Pete Beach
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Let's talk about all the new restaurants!

I will!