We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mini vacation

Which St. Pete Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newington...
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
mini vacation

I'm looking for some advice on where to stay in this area for about 4 days. I am going to a wedding in St Pete next year and after the wedding a few friends and I were looking to stay a few extra days for a mini vacation. We are all about 32 years old, enjoy fine and casual dining, late night with drinks "not to wild anymore," and the beach. Love to stay somewhere right on the water with a down town. We will be coming in May, so I guess then another question is the water typically to cold to swim during this time?

Any suggestions? Resorts, hotels, cottages. Probably don't want to have travel more then an hour or two away from St Pete via a car to get to a place.

Thanks in advance for suggestions

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
365 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mini vacation

I think for a group you might enjoy renting a house/cottage in the Treasure Island/St Pete Beach/Pass-a-Grille area. Some prices seem high but split between several it's probably less than a hotel. Take a look at VRBO, Homeaway, VacationRentals.com, or Vacationhomerentals. I know there are other sites too. There are quite a few hotels on the beach that have on-site entertainment. Many of these are within walking distance of each other.

I'll let the local posters advise regarding "downtown". If you stay in the areas mentioned above take advantage of the trolley system or free beach rides (they work for tips), especially good if you want to have drinks outside of walking distance from where you stay.

As far as May, it's absolutely fantastic in my opinion. We go in May every year. Not too crowded as school is still in session until late in the month, the weather and water are ideal and the humidity hasn't yet hit the high levels.

Feel free to ask more when you decide on an area.

Edited: 22 August 2014, 14:14
SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: mini vacation

Since you specifically mentioned a downtown area, I would suggest that you take a look at Clearwater Beach. I think it is what you are looking for. St Pete Beach or Treasure Island have lovely beaches, but have more of a hotel/entertainment "strip" strung out along the beach, as opposed to a condensed downtown area. CB will be about 30-45 minutes from St Pete (depending on where you are staying).

The Gulf water is warming up nicely in May - usually hits 80* by mid-month, so is pleasantly swimmable. :-)

3. Re: mini vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2015, 05:16