We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clearwater Beach vs. Treasure Island vs. St. Pete Beach

Which St. Petersburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
12 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Clearwater Beach vs. Treasure Island vs. St. Pete Beach

Hi! We have 2 kids ages 7 and 10. We are trying to decide which Gulf Coast Beach to stay at. We like activities. I am worried about the youth factor of Clearwater but we don't to be in an area with little to do. We are going the first week in May 2012 so it will be after Spring Break. Also, is it true that St. Pete Beach has alot of shells compared to Clearwater? THANKS!

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
602 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clearwater Beach vs. Treasure Island vs. St. Pete Beach

It's all the same sand, water and beach, and I imagine all the same shells. Clearwater has Pier 60 which has a lot of activities. Treasure Island has John's Pass which is set up like a fishing village, but doesn't really have "activities"...just shops, restaurants & bars. Some of the higher end St Pete Bch hotels offer more activities for kids. Honestly, the entire coast is maybe 20 miles at best so if you stay at one beach you can easily visit another via the Jolly Trolley.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
12 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clearwater Beach vs. Treasure Island vs. St. Pete Beach

Thanks so much for the reply! I didn't realize you get from one end to the other so quickly. We will be renting a car so that is great. I read a hotel review that said St.Pete had so many shells the person could barely walk but Clearwater had no shells. Thanks for clearing that up. That review was probably written by the drunk Spring Break youth that I worried about

!

SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Clearwater Beach vs. Treasure Island vs. St. Pete Beach

Hi Slivovic,

The amount of shells varies depending on the weather, winds and tides, but there are never so many shells that it is uncomfortable to walk on the beach! There is occasionally a row of small shells and shell fragments along the water's edge, but these come and go. Far more folks are disappointed by the lack of shells than complain about the volume!

Lots for kids to do throughout the area!

Dolphin watches or pirate ship rides. Here are a couple (there are similar options from Clearwater Beach as well, if that's where you end up):

www.dolphinracer.com

www.thepirateshipatjohnspass.com

Or mini-golf with live gators to feed (located in Madeira Beach, halfway between SPB and CB)

www.smugglersgolf.com

Splash Island is a water park set up in the Gulf.

tradewindsresort.com/water-park-tampa-florid…

Also, the attractions of Tampa are less than an hour from any of the Beaches - Busch Gardens, Florida Aquarium, Lowry Park Zoo, etc.

Pinellas Park...
Level Contributor
63 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clearwater Beach vs. Treasure Island vs. St. Pete Beach

They might have been referring to Indian Rocks beach when they mentioned the shells. They don't really have sand, more of just crushed rocks. Clearwater is all trucked in sand so I would agree you would find more shells at the more natural beaches of St Pete.

No reason not to visit them all though if you have time. Its funny to see how the towns change drastically in some cases as you drive down the coast.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
602 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clearwater Beach vs. Treasure Island vs. St. Pete Beach

We've found some decent shells along Treasure Island/Madiera Beach. And while the distance is short in miles, it can be "long" in travel time. Some stretches of Gulf Blvd are only one lane and the majority (if not all of it) is 30mph. The shame is with it being all built up by hotels & condos you can't enjoy the beauty of the beach as you make the drive. But it's still nice, especially if you have a car, to spend a day or three hitting different areas along the coast.

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
54 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clearwater Beach vs. Treasure Island vs. St. Pete Beach

I've stayed in both Clearwater Beach and St. Pete Beach. The beach in St. Pete is so much better and you can walk for long stretches, find tidepools, etc. Your hotel can be totally oceanfront and not cost you an arm and a leg. Clearwater Beach has lots of activities but the hotels are actually on a very small strip of beach that turns from the ocean. Just take a look at a google satellite map and you'll see what I mean. Just not the same for me. You can drive there in about 30 minutes. The area around St. John's Pass is nice too and there are lots of activities there with the shopping, restaurants and excursions. I prefer the quieter St. Pete Beach as far towards pink hotel as possible!

7. Re: Clearwater Beach vs. Treasure Island vs. St. Pete Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about St. Petersburg