We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

free day at the end of a business trip

USA
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
free day at the end of a business trip

I have to be in Tampa for a business trip. Saturday I will have off, until my early evening flight. I have never been to the area before. What would be an interesting area in St. Pete to walk around? I was thinking of visiting the Dali Museum. Is that in an interesting area to walk around? Some place else you would recommend? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
The Dali Museum
The Dali Museum
6,988 Reviews
St. Petersburg, FL
SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: free day at the end of a business trip

That would be a wonderful area to walk around. The Dali Museum is very interesting, and from there, it is a very short walk to the Bay, where downtown St Petersburg has a string of lovely waterfront parks with nice walking paths and great views.

You could follow these parks north toward the St Pete Pier to see the sights, watch the pelicans, maybe see a few dolphins. Then maybe get lunch at one of the many nice restaurants in the Beach Drive/Central Ave area. Most of these places have sidewalk seating and nice views of the yacht basin. The Museum of Fine Art is also on this block, if you're not museumed-out.

www.stpetepier.com

Alternately, you might want to spend a day at the beach! St Pete Beach and Clearwater Beach are both quite close :-)

Mentioned in this post
The Dali Museum
The Dali Museum
6,988 Reviews
St. Petersburg, FL
Downtown St Petersburg
Downtown St Petersburg
331 Reviews
St. Petersburg, FL
Clearwater Beach
Clearwater Beach
9,997 Reviews
Clearwater, FL
USA
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: free day at the end of a business trip

Thanks very much, Maya. Your response is very helpful. I am inclined to do the museum and town, as you suggested. But if I were to decide on the "beach option" instead, what would be a good beach to visit, given that I will be leaving a hotel near the Tampa convention center in the morning, and will need to be at Tampa airport by late afternoon? Which beach would be nicest/most convenient?

Mentioned in this post
Tampa Convention Center
Tampa Convention Center
202 Reviews
Tampa, FL
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: free day at the end of a business trip

St Pete Beach and Clearwayer Beach are both about 35-40 minutes from the airport. Either would have the services you would be looking for as a day-tripper. That is, chair/umbrella rentals, showers, beachfront restaurants to grab lunch.

When will you be in this area? Just wondering, as weekends can bring special events that might make a particular area more (or less, due to traffic) desirable to visit.

Mentioned in this post
4. Re: free day at the end of a business trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 12:15