We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help me please

Which St. Petersburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
blank
Level Contributor
176 posts
1 review
Save Topic
help me please

Hi, ive never been to st. pete beach before and im wondering how the beach is there? is it any thing like myrtle beach in south carolina? About how wide is the beach there? is it as wide as Daytona Beach or P.C.Beach? Which Beach do you think is better Daytona or St. Pete? Which one has more to do? which one has wider beaches? Also does ST.Pete beach have a boardwalk like daytona beach? does it have shops and restaurants? about how wide is the beach there comparing it to something? PLEASE give me FULL DETAILS! THANKS!

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help me please

I Prefer Daytona Beach A Lot More, A Lot More Action Going On There Than St.Pete Beach....

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
602 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help me please

I've lived in Pinellas County my entire life and would rather visit the east coast beaches any day than visit ours. Not that ours aren't nice, but there's just something better about Daytona and Cocoa Beaches for me. Daytona is about the finest beach out there. Can drive your car out on to the sand (it's like $5 or so) so you don't have to lug your beachstuff from the car to the beach. They are also more tolerant of alcohol on the beach. It's still not allowed, but if it's covered and you're not being a jerk, they tend to overlook it. And the waves. Constant wave action. Not the same over here, at all. Can't have drinks on the beach unless you're sitting specifically on a hotel or resort area of the beach. Forget bringing your own...some beaches, like Clearwater, are crawling with cops looking to bust your suds.

Cocoa Beach is nice too, but not as nice as Daytona. The sand isn't as white and the water isn't as clear, but it's still remarkable people friendly, few cops to spoil the mood, and overall more fun than here. And they have a boardwalk/pier area too.

There's no boardwalk here on any of our beaches, except sort of John's Pass in Treasure Island. That's about it. We have great beach bars and fabulous restaurants too. But if I was taking a vacation here I would by far choose the east coast over us here on the west coast.

Valrico
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help me please

I have a condominium on Indian Shores which is between Clearwater Beach and St. Pete Beach. Our family has owned this condominium for 15 years and we have spent lots of time there in the summers. I am a native Floridian (Tampa) and we just sold four condominiums in Daytona Beach which we used on the weekends for a couple of years. I am very familiar with both beaches and the surrounding communities. Both areas definately have their own unique charm but by far, for a person wanting to enjoy the beach and the water, my vote are the Pinellas beaches as opposed to Daytona for various reasons. Daytona does allow cars to drive on the beach in some ares which makes laying on the beach a lot less relaxing and much less family friendly. If you have a couple of kids playing in the sand, you don't want to have to worry about them running out in front of a car. The cars driving on the beach is very cool because of the history associated with it (it is my understanding that the racing in Daytona actually began years ago when men would race one another on the beach) but cars driving on the beach makes the beach feel dirtier to me. Also, the surf is much rougher in Daytona which creates a more dangerous undertow. Even for people who are familiar with the surf, it can become treacherous in an instant.

Although the events such as Bike Week and the races are very exciting, Daytona is almost completely event orientated. Many of the hotels and restaurants DEPEND on these events to carry them through the year financially. In between events, it is not uncommon to find dirty accomodations and mediocre food and service because it is difficult to keep good service personnel such as housekeepers and restaurant servers during non event times.

If you are into cars, motorcycles, and surfing, Daytona Beach would definately appeal but if your goal is to find a restful beach to lay out in white sand and spend time with your family, you might consider the Pinellas Beaches. It is my feeling that Pinellas County has committed themselves to embracing families and tourism year round. Pinellas Transit Authority has trolley's that run all day long and travel from north of Clearwater to Pass-A-Grille and a person can ride all day long for $3 (I believe it is only $12 per person for 7 days). The stops are about every block and you could feel comfortable letting your teenage children take the trolley to putt-putt golf or to get ice cream at the Candy Kitchen without worry. Adults can have dinner out and enjoy a couple of cocktails without the concern of DUI.

I hope this information is some help to you in finding a spot for your next vacation.

Valrico
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help me please

I forgot to answer your question about the board walk and beach size. The beach size differs depending on where you stay in Pinellas County (and when). We are currently undergoing a beach replenishing up the coast for most of the Pinellas County beaches which will make them all wider. Treasure Island beach is wider and has more tourist orientated lodging (daily rentals), beach bars, and restaurants. Treasure Island also has John's Pass which is a nice boardwalk area but very different from Ocean Walk. John's Pass has the feel of a bustling fishing village as opposed to an open mall feel that Ocean Walk has. Clearwater Beach has some great restaurants and bars as well. In between Clearwater and Treasure Island, you will find lots of condominiums that range in size and price but they are usually two and three bedroom and have a weekly minimum (sometimes less). Some areas are more residental in nature, such as Sand Key which has lots of very high end condominiums. but they usually have a rental minimum of 90 days. Pinellas County and Hillsborough County or Tampa area (next county east) has many good restaurants and sporting events that most people find enjoyable.

5. Re: help me please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 15:17