We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pier closed, how about aquarium?

Rockledge, Florida
Level Contributor
102 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Pier closed, how about aquarium?

So I just heard that the Pier in downtown St Pete has closed and will not be open again until November. We are going in October and wondered if the Pier Aquarium is still open? If not, how far is it to the Florida Aquarium and is it worth the trip? Thanks

Florida
Destination Expert
for Palm Harbor
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pier closed, how about aquarium?

I believe the whole thing is gone - they're completely rebuilding the pier. But someone who lives over there might know differently.

The Florida Aquarium is only about a 35 minute shot across the bridge. It's a nice aquarium and 20x better than the pier one was.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,911 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pier closed, how about aquarium?

All closed down and awaiting demolition in September.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pier closed, how about aquarium?

They will be redeveloping the Pier. If anyone is interested in the plans for redevelopment, visit their website. It even includes a YouTube video of what the beautiful new Pier will look like. It is scheduled to reopen in 2015. www.thenewstpetepier.com/index.php?msg=true

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,911 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pier closed, how about aquarium?

They will tear down the old inverted pyramid in September, as trying to keep it in good condition has been a losing battle for several decades now.

The new building is anybody's guess -- the Lens design linked above is very controversial, and reviled by enough local residents that the mayor is putting it up for referendum, so don't expect the new building to look anything at all like the website.

(and with demolition not until September 2013, an opening date in 2015 is ambitious at best)

SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pier closed, how about aquarium?

The Pier Aquarium is relocating to John's Pass Village in Madeira Beach, but it isn't scheduled to open until November of this year. I think the new name will be Secrets of the Sea, IIRC.

The sealife is living at USF temporarily!

Rockledge, Florida
Level Contributor
102 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pier closed, how about aquarium?

That must be what I saw about reopening in November, I thought it was the Pier but now I see it's the new aquarium. Since we are coming from the east coast we decided to go to the Florida Aquarium either on our way over or on our way back home since we will pass the area anyway.

Thanks for all the replies..

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,802 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pier closed, how about aquarium?

There's also the Clearwater Marine Aquarium where the dolphin in the movie Dolphin Tale was rehabbed and now lives.

Rockledge, Florida
Level Contributor
102 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pier closed, how about aquarium?

We went there last year with some friends. It was interesting, I have not seen the movie but my friends had. We got to see Winter swim with the prosthetic tail. They do a great job in rescuing the marine life.

9. Re: Pier closed, how about aquarium?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2014, 06:20