We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay

London
9 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay

Your help would be very much appreciated by 4 middle aged unexperienced travellers from scotland who have never been out of Europe before!! We want to stay somewhere reasonably priced on a lovely beach -we will not have a car.What we want to do is people watch,swim(any chances of swimming with dophins) perhaps snorkel-go on a sunset and a watch dolphin cruise ,visit shell island.Browse around individual interesting local shops.Find a relaxed place to have a not too expensive but locally produced evening meal. Local sea food would be nice. Have an evening walk on the beach and watch sunsets sipping wine.Any other activities or trips on the water that you could recommend would be nice.

We have become rather bewildered by all the different places that we could stay as they all sound so lovely ,but would so like some local help in finding the place that would be best suited for our dream holiday.We will be staying for a week at the beginning of October.

Liverpool, England
Destination Expert
for St. Pete Beach
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
400 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay

St Pete Beach is a lovely laid back place to stay, I am sure you are "middle youth" rather than middle age!

Lots of nice restaurants, great beach, lovely sunsets, different kinds of bars, beach bars, Irish ones, though I haven't seen swimming with dolphins there you can go on boat trips to see them and the sunsets .

There are plenty of seafood places to eat and a big supermarket for cheap cold beer and wine when you want to relax.

I stay at the Alden Resort which is right on the beach, clean and comfortable.

Any more questions please post again.

GP

NOW St Pete...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay

I too like St Pete for the traveler... Clearwater is seemingly younger anymore. St Pete has TONS of laid back eateries, our bus system is on par with the best so check out the schedules to Tyrone Square Mall, St Petersburg Pier, Fort Desoto State Park, and for food... hmm, it depends on the taste. Most all have great seafood even though I'm not of the opinion seafood tastes all that great...kidding of course.

For food, check out AOL city guide for say zip code 33702 or surrounding areas. OH I know of one cool place... Ted Peter's in St Pete off S Pasedena Blvd smoked mullet, and other fish. And you eat outdoors in typical florida style and it is a locals place too...

Geezz there are so many locals places... For a good time and a place with character El Cap is choice for fish sandwich, a burger that is outstanding... Like Thai? Try Bangkok Cuisine on Park Blvd which is a taxi ride but WELL WORTH IT... Italian/... all over

bob

St Petersburg
Level Contributor
15 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay

My favorite St Pete Beach motel these days is the Sirata. The Alden is nice too as are so many others. The Best Western has a fun dance bar and is usually more reasonably priced. I do think you will enjoy St. Pete Beach; you are very apt to hear accents you recognize as SPB has become quite popular with visitors on holiday from the UK. And when the beach is overcast or you just feel like a change, St. Petersburg is a taxi or bus ride away and it has a whole different feel and more things to enjoy. You should be able to find a motel to suit you by exploring the Tripadvisor hotels reviews for St. Pete Beach. Welcome to our part of the world...I hope your stay is as wonderful as my trips to yours have been!

Beverly, MA
Level Contributor
558 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay

I have just found the Alden Beach Resort on line and it looks like a nice place to visit this winter with my wife and 14 year old son. We are not looking for anything fancy, a nice beach and perhaps a few day trips and some deep sea fishing. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

PlayaBoy

5. Re: Where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 21:17
Get answers to your questions about St. Petersburg